1/35 Revell Wiesel 2 SHORAD command vehicle

Well, I started this build log in the old Forum, it was in an advanced stage of construction but I couldn’t upload furthermore pictures. Now, after I have finished this one, I just wanted to share the results with you.

Of interest may be the head lights:

You might remember, I first hollowed the lamps. Furthermore I painted the inside with Revell Aqua Color 99 Aluminum.
And for the “glass” I chose the following method:

I took a very thin, clear polystyrol plate (0,3mm) and scratched some small lines on one side. Then I punched out round discs and turned them around. On the side without the scratches, I dropped on some Revell Aqua Color 01 clear gloss and let it dry over night. Now the clear gloss is dryly bent and has the shape of a lens.

With this method you can always produce your own lenses in exactly the diameter you need.

Peter

2 Likes

Very nice clean build!

How did you punch the lens pieces out from the clear plastic sheeting in the proper size?

Thank you for your compliment.

In this case I used a Punch pliers. In fact it is an American product and I bought it in Phoenix/AZ in a hardware store.

I also used a “punch and die” set, for bigger diameters (6mm) even a punching iron - whatever fixes the needed diameter.
Buy the way I forgot something:
The clossy drop is not working with brand new Revell Aqua Color 01 clear gloss. This one is too liquid and for that it will “flow away”, creating a mess on the table. I always use some older stuff of the gloss. It has to have a “creamy” consistent, then it will work properly.

Even more, I always lay the cutout disc on a small mirror in order to drop the gloss. So if any of the gloss goes over the disc, I can easily remove the disc from the mirror again.

And!!!: make more discs than you need, they have the inclination to disappear! In this case I made 6 of them.

Good luck!!!

Peter

Very nicely done, Peter!

Those Wiesel 2’s are definitely some tiny vehicles!

:beer: :cowboy_hat_face:

Thank you for the clear explanation Peter. I’ll have to look for some of those punching pliers.

I’m using a slightly different method:
Acetate sheet (like from the stiffeners you get in shirt packings) receives the described parallel lines inscribed. Plastic sheet of about 2 mm thickness gets a hole drilled that’s 0.5 mm larger than the needed lens. The acetate is held over a candle until it becomes floppy, the placed over the hole and pushed in with the dull end of a suitable drill bit, e.g. 3mm drill for a 3.5 mm hole. The “lens” can then be cut off and the edge sanded smooth as needed (by sticking it to a piece of tape). For the drilled out “reflector” I use very thin aluminum foil that I form over the drill’s end again.
The result can be seen on my Italeri Sahariana.

HTH,
Peter

2 Likes

Thank you Richard!
Wish you a Merry Christmas!

Hi Carlos,

I guess it is worth a try!

Hi Peter,

Interesting method you use.
How do you push the drill through the melted Acetate?
Just by hand or do you use a hammer?

Peter

Hi Peter,
I just push it in by hand - that’s why I let it become floppy over the flame. Different sorts of acetate have different cooling (= hardening) times, however, so success strongly depends on the right material [or your reaction time ;-)].
Have a negative (test-wise, that is) Xmas,
Peter

Thank you, Peter