1/48 Airfix Supermarine Spitfire MkXII

The kit arrived today. Off to wash the plastic then start painting the cockpit parts.

4 Likes

I wish I had bought a few of these at Hobby Lobby. Sadly, they have disscontinud offering any Airfix kits at all.

Really nice kit. I did it a while ago and had no issues with it.

1 Like

I started some detail painting on a few cockpit parts.

2 Likes

Forgot, there was one slight peeve I had… The lack of decal for the instrument panel… I hand painted it after a fashion and it came out ok … But a decal would of been easy for airfix to include … Other than that, great kit :+1:

I rarely use IP decals. I prefer painting the dials and switches.

1 Like

This is how mine finished. looking forward to yours getting built up now :+1:

7 Likes

Impressive!

1 Like

Instrument panel assembly installed.

2 Likes

Interior added and fuselage closed up.

4 Likes

It’s a nice kit but I won’t build another. All the detail in the cockpit is hidden. The prop is designed to be assembled before you paint, not impressed with kits engineered this way. I tried getting interior pictures but forget that idea. I am just going to finish the build and move on.

3 Likes

Wings and canopy on.

1 Like

More parts and a small amount of filler.

2 Likes

The tail is all done. I heard a rattling inside after I shook some water out when finishing a wash after sanding. The 2 grey bottles that were on the left wall behind the cockpit seat came loose. I shook some more and now they are stuck for good down in the bowels of the rear fuselage. They weren’t easy to see anyways.

3 Likes

Looking great. This one has long been on my must buy list.

1 Like

Thanks, it’s a decent build, the wing roots are very good especially for Airfix. Just watch out for the interior cockpit fit…it’s pretty good but everything must be tightly fit or it will interfere with the sub assemblies, just be sure all joints are tight on the sub assemblies.

2 Likes

The flaps are on.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m nipping into my LHS at some point this so hopefully they might have one in.

Saw one in the LHS today. Awfully tempting, along with this:

2 Likes

More stuff on the bottom.

3 Likes