1/48 Great Wall Hobby P-61B

The “Lady in the Dark” is now finished! First, I know it has been two weeks since my last update. We were out of town last weekend visiting friends. To bring everyone up to date I completed the decals and then weathered the exhaust using pastel chalk. For the exhaust I laid down a medium brown followed by a light gray and finally a streak of black giving the exhaust staining some depth. In the reference photos there are two short whip antennas on each side just behind the nose cone. I use 30AWG wire to simulate these and then sprayed the final top coat of matte on the aircraft. The canopy masks were removed and I then added the wire antenna from the tails to the rear of the main fuselage using EZ-line. I installed the propellers completing this build.
This kit is good in details but has some issues during the build. As stated previously the fuselage assembly is challenging due to the belly guns. The other issue with this kit is the decal sheet shows the wing insignias incorrectly. The previous confusion with the landing gear was due to the Eduard instructions only showing one side of the landing gear bays and showing the numbers for both sides. This led me to assemble the main gear bays backwards. Aside from the incorrect instructions the kit decals worked well. They went down well and conformed to the surface details. Since I changed this to wheels up, this is now displayed hanging. Overall this kit had its issues but in the end it makes for a nice looking P-61B.
There are more photos and details from the start to finish in my build log at 1/48 P-61B Black Widow – Lady in the Dark – David's Scale Models

6 Likes

Excellent work David, looks great alongside the P-38M. Thanks for recording your progress with the build :smile:

Fantastic Build David! Congrats! :slightly_smiling_face:

Really really nice build of a beautiful aircraft :heart_eyes:, David. Enjoyed every step of the blog. Several years ago I have built “The Spook” (my avatar) and “Lady Gen” out of the old 1974 Revell-Monogram kit …