1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk Vb

I decided to do this Spitfire instead of the Monogram 1/48 Skyraider. Need a change of planes and kit manufacturers. I am not sure which scheme to do, I am leaning towards the green and gray over gray standard camouflage but I am thinking maybe an American flown Spitfire if I can find decals. I have heard the Tamiya decals are old and a bit hard to work with at times.

3 Likes

I have some cockpit painting started.

3 Likes

This cockpit is a miserable fit! I tried putting it in the fuselage and it didn’t line up. I pulled it out and one bulkhead was crooked I straightened that and put it back it, it would not go in all the way so I pushed it a bit. I then tried putting thin glue down the sides of the ribs on the fuselage and a large drop of liquid glue dropped onto the fuselage side. It is now in the box on the shelf. It will stay there a very long time I am afraid. I was so hoping to have a nice fall together Tamiya build, it has turned into a disaster so far. I think I will start the Monogram Skyraider in a few days when I have calmed down. Not a happy camper right about now.

1 Like

I hate to burst your bubble, but when it comes to 1/48 Spitfires, there aren’t many better than this kit (and if you don’t believe me, check out some reviews).

I’ve only ever built two Spitfires, this and previously, a Mk II, both from Tamiya, and they both fell together. In fact, this was one of the very, very few aircraft kits I built OOB without an AM cockpit, because when it is put together, you really can’t see much of the cockpit interior anyway.

Had zero issues. Sounds like you did something wrong and were a bit heavy handed. I’d persevere.

3 Likes

Thanks for not bursting my bubble pal, I finished an Occidental Spit with ZERO problems.!!!

1 Like

Ya, Easiest kit I’ve ever built. You can almost shake the box and it just falls together. Dunno what went wrong with the build.
Good luck!

1 Like

Hi there! I know this thread is over 3 months old now, but in in case the original poster hasn’t made a decision about how to move ahead, I have some thoughts. First, I don’t know anything about the Tamiya Spitfire Mk. Vb, but I did build the 1/48 Tamiya Mk. 1 some time ago, and it was a great build, straightforward, no problems, and it looks great. I have built 3 Eduard 1/48 Spitfires also, and those were just as easy in terms of build. If you are interested in Spitfire Mk. V planes flown by Americans, Eduard has a 2 plane set, called Eagle’s Call, kit 11149, and these 2 planes have markings for aircraft flown by Americans, either as part of the RAF or with US markings. I have this set, and it’s wonderful…though I have not built either one from that kit yet.