1/72 A4 Base (2021)

Yeah, I roughly worked it out that I can have the Rheintochter on one side and the Control tank on the other side of the paper longways to give it some space in the middle for the control cable and defensive positions and some scenery.

1 Like

An updated list with people who are in on this group build.

Confirmed.
@Johnnych01
@G-man69
@PasiAhopelto
@Pete
@Tank_1812
@phantom_phanatic
@FirstCircle
@DIOWORK

3 Likes

Hi Ryan,

Think that armoured railcar is going to look impressive combined with track, rail and river crossing, looking forward to seeing your build progress, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

Hi John,

That E100 is big, if I have calculated my Cromwell’s correctly your vehicle is nearly twice the length and about half as wide again, some big beast, :slightly_smiling_face:.

It also sounds as if you’ve got the scratch build by the sounds of it with your radar tracking array, :slightly_smiling_face:.

G

1 Like

Hi all,

Decided this morning to start work on my contribution by roughing out the lanes and bocage embankments along the lines of my rough PowerPoint sketch (see images below).

Finding decent British/Commonwealth vehicles in 1/72nd that would be suitable for the setting is proving difficult, IBG have some softskin stuff that might be possible, has anyone ever built any of their kits?

G

1 Like

Yeah I was a bit disappointed it was so big as it scuppered my plan to have 2 of them plus the control tank. If I had 2 it wouldnt look realistic having 2 missile platforms that close to each other and a control vehicle. I still may change the control vehicle from King Tiger hull to a Panther G hull.

The Tracking/radar array and a restructured turret will need to be built, but I have a cunning a plan for that which will be revealed during the build. When i get to that part, I think I will incorporate a 3 way junction box on the control vehicle with cables from that giving the impression it is the master vehicle for 3 missile platforms.

I was in the Range a few days ago and they strangely have a box with various Airfix 1/72 kits in it … ME109s, FW 190s and Comet Tanks (may of been Cromwells)for £9.99

And thats a great start on the base of the Dio G …

Thanks G, I don’t know about a river crossing, maybe a stream for my first water diorama though I admit the river would look cool. I will think on it more.

G - Whats that you are using for the base ? Is it similar to flower arrangers foam ?

Hi John,

It’s a bit more robust than flower arrangers foam (oasis), I know it as high density foam board, it comes in various thicknesses, I’m not sure if it has a tradename, but it’s easy enough to find online.

It’s easy to cut and carve, though it’s best to work on it outside, or in a garage/shed where the wife can’t grumble about the mess, :smirk:.

G

1 Like

I have put myself in more of a dilemma now. I measured out the hull size of a 1/72 E100 and a King Tiger hull onto my piece of A4 … they are big and taking up some serious room :thinking:

I also measured the 1/35 Striker against the E100 footprint and even that is smaller lol…

I have seen kits of the Rheintochter R1 Missile on a Panther or E50 & E75 hull, so that may be an option if i want to reduce the footprint area…??

1 Like

Hi John,

When you gave the measurements previously I thought…big, :roll_eyes:. I’ve seen both the E50 and 75 variants online for just under £20, which is fine, but annoying if you already have the E100 variant.

Could you get an inexpensive Panther kit and use the E100 missile and mount on it as a conversion?

G

1 Like

I havent actually bought anything yet and probably wont till Feb or even maybe Mar … Its just I love the look of the E100 hull and running gear lol … it must be a tankie thing haha — I know deep down I will get the E100 … I wont be able to get it out my head now I have thought about doing it…

Hi all,

A tad more progress on the base today, including the first skin of DAS on the field and the banks. Also started to rough out the farm area (see images below).

The farm will need trimming and door, gate and window apertures positioning and cutting out before I start on the details.

G

3 Likes

Damn you …Im really going to have to up my game for this one G … I love what your’e putting together there … will you do any infanteers trudging along with the armour for support ? … or just the wagons ?

1 Like

I totally get what you mean about wanting to go with the E100 variant now you’ve got it fixed in your mind, :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

I definitely will be adding figures, not sure which ones to go for yet, also depends a little on the vehicles I settle on, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Yeah, he making us all look bad. I want to finish my miniart T-80 construction before moving onto this kit build. The base will take longer.

1 Like

I think ( what I mean is - I know lol) I will still do the E100 hull, but once the group build is finished, use that and get another one and then do an A3 footprint or slightly bigger and do 2 or 3 E100’s and the Control tank hooked up … things are already spiralling out of control and its only the 7th of Jan LOL — on a side note, do you use Antics much in Plymouth ?