1/72 A4 Base (2021)

Anyone have photos of a small WW2 Eastern European railway bridge? I am thinking of a small rail bridge in theory like @G-man69 did with his small bridge in his Carrier Crossing dio to do a little water work underneath it and my googlefu is only giving me giant bridges. TIA.

Hi, yes, I am interested, although even A6 sounds huge and would be bigger than any base I’ve built before. I get the idea though, that it should ideally feature multiple models, not just one vehicle with some blokes standing around it looking bored (like my previous biggest dio base).
Sounds like it might be quite inspiring. Count me in.

1 Like

Matthew @FirstCircle, I dont think it should be ruled out about it only being 1 vehicle and only 1 person … its more about the WOW factor about what you can produce based around those paper sizes, and what you can achieve with it.
Hope that helps.
@Tank_1812, Ryan, I just hada quick search but couldnt find much to be honest - how about asking the question direct to the model railway guys … they may know better ??

2 Likes

That is a great idea. I was going to make a post in the general section and still might but I will give the rail guys shout out.

1 Like

So here we are, almost 2021 … Hope it’s a better year than 2020.

This build is due to go live from 01 Jan 21 and run for 12 months.

As long as @G-man69 is happy as he is the co conspirator on this idea we will keep the rules and regulations as per the initial post with the slight change that partially built kits of no more than 20% will be allowed. I thought the main emphasis is the actual Dio… Not the kit construction.

Can one of the admin guys change the title and add “Official” and remove “idea” and replace that with Live ?

It looks like you lose the edit function after a period time ?

Any other questions post them here…

Stay safe :+1:

1 Like

Hi John,

I’m good with your ideas, and looking forward to the build commencing tomorrow, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

Here’s wishing you and yours, and all our fellow modellers a happy New Year, and one that ultimately brings us all back to as close as normal as possible after such a difficult 2020.

Thanks again for setting this all up, and cheers to one and all, :beer:,

G

2 Likes

Hi all,

Apologies if I’m being a tad dense, but having never done a group build so not exactly sure how they work, :thinking: :roll_eyes:, has this gone live yet and, if so, does it happen in here as a continuation? or does the topic/build move to another/new location?

Cheers, :beer:,

G

1 Like

I think I should happen in this thread.

1 Like

I have just changed the title @G-man69 so it now reads Official and live.
All build chat, pics, and the such will stay in this thread. :+1::+1::+1:

Next week I will start sketching out my idea. I keep going back and further on the bridge (big (vehicle underneath) or small almost culvert type). Bought static grass before Xmas and pink foam insulation today for this and future work.

1 Like

I have a general plan of action for this.

It will be on the A4 footprint, and I am thinking along the lines of X2 Rheintochter R-1 Movable Missile Launchers which are being remotely operated from a converted King Tiger fire control/radar tracking tank. I will have to heavily modify the KT turret and scratch a radar tracking array. I will base the Dio around a wasteland/urban ruin setting…
Can anyone recommend 1/72 Later German figures ??

Hi John, Ryan,

Thanks both for the feedback, :slightly_smiling_face:.

I have decided to do something set in the Normandy Bocage, It will include part of a farmyard adjacent to a ‘T’ junction and will incorporate a number of British/Commonwealth vehicles…something along the lines of the rough sketch below.

I have shown a number of Cromwell tanks, but that might change depending on what I can lay my hands on as I don’t have any 1/72nd-1/76th scale vehicles in my stash, :disappointed:.

Although the vehicles might change the overall layout will hopefully not differ greatly from the rough sketch above.

Any comments/suggestions/tweaks greatly appreciated, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Let the build commence, :smile: :+1:.

G

2 Likes

Hi John,

Check out these:

Plastic Soldier Set WW2020003 Late War German Infantry 1943-45 - Plastic Soldier Review - Plastic Soldier Late War German Infantry 1943-45

Plastic Soldier Set WW2020005 Late War German Infantry Heavy Weapons - Plastic Soldier Review - Plastic Soldier Late War German Infantry Heavy Weapons

Valiant Set VM002 Classic German Infantry 1944/45 - Plastic Soldier Review - Valiant Classic German Infantry 1944/45

Sure there are other good sets available which might be reviewed on the linked ‘Plastic Soldier Review’ site.

G

1 Like

G, if that’s a rough sketch I would hate to see a detailed neat one !!! :grin:… But the layout looks great :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the links G, that was very helpful. I should of mentioned that I plan on using E100 hulls on the R1 missile systems, and the potential K Tiger hulled tracking/radar vehicle will have a barreless turret. I want to try and incorporate some figures in a few defensive positions in the layout.

Here the kit I will be using.

And a little sketch of what I am planning very close to an A5 base dimensions.

Need to locate some 1/72 Soviet troops to be on the dirt road.

1 Like

Nice layout Ryan, and should look impressive on an A5 base.

I am slightly rethinking how many vehicles I can realistically put on an A4 base area. I was initially thinking like I said for x2 Rheintochter 1 missile launchers on E100 hulls and a King Tiger hulled Fire Control/tracking vehicle. I just got the hull measurements for a 1/72 E100 and its about 160mm long and 60ish wide so I think I will only be able to get 1 missile launcher and the fire control tank on the base area so as not to overcrowd it …and probably still go with some figures in defensive positions …

1 Like

That might be tight on a a5. My kit is 75mm x 40mm.

1 Like

Thanks for that Ryan… it was a typo by me :grin: - should of been A4 :+1:

That’s what I thought might be the case. Should have plenty of space on a A4 I think.