1/72 Revell B-17F-old mold

I am going to do an old kit mostly for a nostalgia build. I am going to do a few improvements, put in a bulkhead for the nose, make a basic instrument panel and control yokes and scratch build a basic bomb sight. It is an old kit and I am just going to make it look a little better than whats in the box now.

4 Likes

I built a bomb sight and a bench and platform for the bombardier. I then added the windows, closed up the fuselage and puttied the seams.

7 Likes

Got caught up finishing a few other projects, back to the B-17F.The wings are assembled and glued to the fuselage.

1 Like

I have purchased decals, Kits World 303 Bomb Group, Hell’s Angels plane Bad Check.

2 Likes

I added the horizontal stabs, puttied and sanded all the offending seams and have it masked to paint the bottom neutral gray. I use rattle cans, no airbrush and no interest in having one.

3 Likes

The bottom is sprayed neutral gray. Now to do the top olive drab.

1 Like

I installed the wheels, masked and painted the olive drab then assembled, painted and installed the engines.

3 Likes

I painted the dark green blotches as per my decal instructions and also did the fabric covered areas of the wing, stabs and tail. I then masked the windows and gloss coated for decaling. I will leave the masks on until I do a dull coat over the decals.

I came as close to this color on the tail for the fabric color on the flaps and rudder as I could.

1 Like

The decals are finished and dull coted. I now can finish with the top turret, gun barrels and pitot tubes.

2 Likes

That’s going really well.
Bit of work and careful paint job these old kits can still turn out great.

1 Like

Thanks, a definite improvement from the last one, that was about 1968 or 69.I left it the OD plastic color but painted the bottom a light blue. I knew zilch about FS colors, putty, wet sanding. But it looked good to my buddy who lived next door and my kid brother. This is the first B-17 since then.

1 Like

Almost done, just needs some detail painting.

1 Like

All done.

4 Likes

That’s turned out really well John.
Congratulations on finishing.

1 Like

Thanks, I have a larger Skyraider next. Gotta love them old Monogram kits.

1 Like