120mm British infantryman 1944

Some really great progress here- the color of the BD’s is excellent.

1 Like

A little bit more progress….

I’m also redoing the head. New head and the helmet sitting lower. Also, more strips of hessian hanging over the rim. Thanks to Brian for the ideas!
Now Gents, I need to pick your brains again…
After the last head & hands went in the oven cleaner again, when I was rinsing them off, the left hand went straight down the plug hole! So, does anyone know a supplier of 1/16 scale hands? I know Verlinden did a set but, they are obviously, out of stock everywhere now. Anyone else make them? Tried a Tamiya one but, it’s just a touch too big. I swear this build is cursed!
G.

4 Likes

That is so crisp and clean. Your colours are perfect. Top notch. No idea about 120mm hands though.

1 Like

Take the drain trap off and see if the hand isn’t sitting in the bottom of the trap. There’s a very good chance it’s there.

1 Like

Thanks Matthew but, that was the first thing I did. Even looked in the gully outside of the house. I think it’s probably in the river Aire somewhere now.
G.

Lazarus excellent job so far, sorry about the hand. Your painting skills are excellent, very neat brush work - impressive!

1 Like

Thanks Rich, the way this bloody build is going, I’m seriously thinking about giving him a pirate hat and a hook! Maybe a parrot on the shoulder as well…….:grin:
G.

1 Like

That would be interesting lol. Have you thought about sculpting or carving one yourself?

1 Like

Hand or parrot……:grin:
G.

Really enjoying the progress here- the webbing is looking spot on with very fine attention to detail.

As for the hand perhaps a 1/16 plastic fig would do as a relatively inexpensive donor kit?

1 Like

Both lol!! The hand would be easier I think :thinking:

1 Like

That reminds me:

Adrian Carton de Wiart - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Almost forgot lads, here’s the rifle as well.

G.

4 Likes

Brian, so many possibilities there….:thinking:
G.

Wow he sounded like a real bad ass

1 Like

Wow! Another great work for you my friend. You sure know your figures. I wish I could have a skillful hand like yours. All of my models are without figures unless it’s a pilot sitting in a cockpit with oxygen mask on and visor down. That’s the only figure I can complete without making it looks stupid :laughing:

Keep up the good work and here taking notes :wink:

1 Like

Yeah - not sure I’d want him as a boss though!

1 Like

Hi Gents, sorry for the delay on this one. As a good friend of mine says, ‘real lives and demanding wives!’
So, to update… This one has been a monumental pain in the arse! It’s now on it’s third head, if you include the original one. The paint has gone soft for some reason, multiple touch-ups required. I tried multiple times to paint the lettering on the shoulder tabs but failed miserably. Biting the bullet, I bought the only decal sheet I could find, cost of £23! Guess what? No ‘East Yorkshire’ tab on the sheet so, I couldn’t do the figure I wanted to do anyway. Luckily, it did have tabs for the Green Howards. Another Yorkshire regiment present with the 3rd division on D-day so, all is not lost. Managed to get a spare hand from a mate who lives nearby so, probably the only bit of luck I’ve had with this build. Just need to do the weathering and the groundwork and I can put this one to bed at last!

I’ll update again when I get the chance.
G.

3 Likes

Its ‘one of those builds’ then mate! Y’know the one that never goes right straight out of the box and just keeps giving you problems. I’m very glad to see you making great progress with it though, sometimes its a fine line between making progress and the kit making it to the bin.

The look of the colors is spot on I have to say, the BDs and the webbing are seriously impressive in terms of tone and I think you have the right look for the skin too.

1 Like

Thanks Karl, I believe me, I nearly ended up throwing it against the wall a few times! Only problem there is that the wife would have me repainting the wall :frowning:
G.