120mm USMC, Hue 1968

Hi folks, thought I’d share this little chap with you all. I’ve been working on him on & off for a while now and finally done!

It’s the old Verlinden Marine. I added a few bits to it, namely the M16 barrel & foregrip and the M72 LAW over his shoulder. Both Reedees items. This is how it started…

Now, I know there’s a few of you out there that wore this uniform so, I hope I’ve done him justice.
G.

16 Likes

Very well done!

1 Like

Well that looks like Tom Berenger. Minus that great honkin scar of course.

Looks great man!

1 Like

Another outstanding job Lazarus. Great job on the uniform, one of the few figures I’ve seen wearing the wet weather top.

1 Like

Lovely work mate, you really have a knack for getting this old Verlinden kits to shine. The various shades of green are really nice observed- and the added dirt looks great sitting in the places it would obviously gather. Great work on the grenades too- what did you use for the lettering on them?

1 Like

Thanks Gents, hoped you’d like it.
Don; now you mention it, it does look like Tom Berenger. Never realised and, I must have seen that film umpteen times!
Rich; I believe the jacket is the Navy issue wet weather gear. I did a bit of research on it’s use and apparently, they were only on hand for one particular unit at the time of Tet so, most of the photos of the Marines wearing them are from this certain unit.
Karl; the Verlinden figures are showing their age a bit now. Accuracy can be an issue, likewise some of the detail can be a bit soft. I like them though. A little bit of work and they can make for decent pieces. Thankfully, there are some good aftermarket parts available if you look hard enough. As an example, the decals on the smoke grenades are from Peddinghaus in Germany. You get loads on the sheet as well, probably enough to see me out.
G.

3 Likes

I figured that about the wet weather top. Looks like US Army issue; I was issued the top and bottom in Germany in ‘85. I think ours were a bit longer. The goretex was much better of course.
I’ve seen the film about the battle of Hue and yes there were Marines wearing them. Excellent job again!

1 Like

OUTSTANDING job. SEMPER FI.

1 Like

one tiny little thing with the M16. Feb. 1968, a bird cage flash supressor would have been a rare sight. We didn’t start to see them till late March when FNG’s showed up with them and the forward assist.

as for the uniform, it looks the part. Sleeves are almost field jacket like, but that’s OK. It was kinda chilly over there in Febuary 68. I’d have to say “good to go!”
gary

3 Likes

Great job! 120mm resin figures aren’t easy to build, paint, and complete so it’s very nice to see them completed and look so stellar. The add-on touches you made really shows when finished.

:smiley:

1 Like

Digger beat me to the punch regarding the flash suppressor but I’d like to mention the green helmet band that a lot of marines in Hue had was actually black as it was fashioned from the inner tube from a bicycle wheel.

congratulations on finding smoke grenade decals I used the decal that goes on the rear of the cover that protects the engine compartment on Tamiya’ s M113 ACAV. I cut out each letter from the decal, so at least you had an easier time of it than me.

well done on the build it’s a cracking job.

1 Like

Well done, beautiful figure and you really did it justice!

1 Like

Thanks Gents, I appreciate it :+1:
G.

Been a couple zillion years now, but it seems that the closer you got to the Perfume River; the darker the earth. We were headed up there with a CAV troop, but was sent back south to prep for a series of strikes to the south with the 101st and 198th.
Most people don’t know it, but the 101st and 1st Air CAV we’re I there too. A lot of politics involved
Gary

2 Likes