203 mm powder container "bundles"

Aaaargh! Posted the same image twice! Forgive me.

H.P.

Realize that these are still not 8," but perhaps there’s some consistency or uniformity with the standards issued to the ammo manufacturers for shipping arrangements and dunnage design.

In regard to the colored trim on the FSB RIPCORD 2-11 FA (155) pieces:

Notice the red trim on the piece in the first photo I posted (screen grab). There were numerous other photos taken by individuals on the fire support base that showed the different colored trim and wheel hubs on the M114s…

155 ripcord

A 2 11th on RipX

And so on… It was also clear from the photos and daily SIREPS that the arty batteries (155 ARVN and US and 105 ARVN and US at various times occupying positions on the base) had to frequently replace the tires that were punctured by shrapnel from NVA mortar and 82mm RR fire.

Really didn’t seem to be any pattern that we could establish, and none of the vets from the fire base could give any particular reason for the different colors. In the end, we just chalked it up to individual crew “affectation” and let the photos speak for themselves. (BTW, the colored trim and wheels were only seen on the 2-11 FA (155) M114 pieces, the other arty batteries on RIPCORD didn’t do this.)

Not quite true…

I’ve got photos of our ammo from the field artillery 10 level course I did back in 1998 all the way through the 40 level course three years ago, and finally some shooting I did two years ago on the range. All with modelling in mind. I’ve been field artillery qualified longer than most people have been in the Army. :slight_smile: I just prefer the 18Bravo moniker because that’s my primary MOS and what I do best. I just get to play with other things because it can still be useful.

At any rate - these are from the shoot two years ago when I shot the Triple Seven and the M119. Note the above mentioned metal cans for the fuzes, and the projo pallets:

Another:

Stowed modular charges:

Note the tarp. While it should be covering the charges better, they should not be in direct sunlight if possible. And they should all be exposed to the the sun to the same degree. Slight changes in powder temp may affect the flight of the projo.

Finally, 105mm ammo from that same day:

Still making things go “BOOM!”

Maybe someone can ID the pallets in the background (295th Ordnance Company, Chu Lai ASP, January 1969)…

H.P.

Hi Rob,
then you are the exception. But as Peter stated before, someone would have better taken pics of 8" ammo back in the days.
@PzAufkl Do you build your vehicle for WWII?

Thanks for that - I really should get on with it and model it sometime soon.

1 Like

I’m wondering if I have to rearrange the ammo load in my M548, see b/w photo above. It’s supposed to go with an M110, Vietnam War era.
Peter

From the TM, for what it’s worth.

KL

It’s a bit hard to say as both the 155mm and 8-inch had two containers, white bag and green bag, with different diameters and lengths. If they are 8-inch, they are probably M2 white bag charges. Those were packed 32/pallet while the green bag charges were 50/pallet (in the 1970s.) Containers for 155mm were either 50 or 42/pallet.

They are the cylindrical containers,used before the square-flanged types entered service. I can’t tell if they are the WW II or postwar style.

KL

I disagree.
http://www.usarmymodels.com/ARTICLES/105mm%20Ordnance/1%20105mmOverview.html

KL

Some more pictures of 203 ammo handling you coud find in the following link:

on post (41st BDE)

Nice seeing the Insignia of the 83rd FA…When I was in Baumholder with the 8th ID, the 1st Bn 83rd FA was one of the three M1091 equipped DS battalions with DivArty. The 1st Bn 81st supported the 1st Bde, my Bn, 1stBn 2nd FA supported the 2nd Bde, and 1st Bn 83rd supported 3rd Bde. We also had 3/16th FA with M110 8" howitzers as the GS battalion for the Division.