35461 U.S. TANK REPAIR CREW with continental w-670 engine | Armorama™

New MiniArt Kit Coming Soon, 1:35 scale: 35461 U.S. TANK REPAIR CREW with continental w-670 engine

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/35461-u-s--tank-repair-crew-with-continental-w-670-engine
2 Likes

Looking forward to the Stuart kits. Hope MiniArt comes out with additional figures for these, especially the really early “doughnut” tanker helmets, since no one makes these at all.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community!

I agree, it would be nice if they had special figures for this.

1 Like

Actually, I’ve been here a while. Just couldn’t log in under my old moniker, despite numerous efforts. Hence, the new account!

2 Likes

Oops that’s the second person I’ve done that to this month! Sorry! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well done MiniArt!

This is definitely a set that I’ll be getting and will be looking forward to building and painting!

2 Likes

Not a problem. I used to be on here as LTCEdwards. I think the problem is more in the rather arcane way Kitmaker has you sign in.

2 Likes

+1 on the early, pre-war US tankers.

I just recently had a conversation with one of my modeling club mates about the subject of the “doughnut” tank helmets and the very sad lack of figures with them.

Even a set of figure heads wearing those helmets would be very welcome. They would be applicable to both US pre- and initial-war (Philippines) and some few British tankers in the Western Desert. (The US tank helmets - both the early and later M1938 types - were supplied as items of AFV equipment along with the other tools and vehicle accessories, so when the early M3 light tanks arrived in Egypt, some of these “doughnut” helmets were included with some of the tanks. There are a few period photos of British tankers wearing them in the desert. BTW, this also accounts for the photos of Canadian tankers, especially in Italy although some few also in NWE, wearing US M1938 tank helmets fitted with the earphones from WS No. 19 radio headsets.)

MiniArt does have a set of “Operation Torch” US tankers, but they all have the standard M1938 tank helmets and the second pattern tanker jackets (the early pattern tanker jackets had patch-type vice slit-type pockets).

An option is to convert some Italian or Hungarian tanker heads by making a few small changes in the crowns of their helmets (filling the radial seams and adding ventilation holes), deleting the neck “curtains,” adding the rear helmet flaps from US M1938 tank helmets, and then adding the annular “doughnut” cushions to the rims. The side ear flaps are slightly different on the Italian and Hungarian helmets, but pretty close to the US design so they’ll do.

3 Likes