3rd Canadian anti tank, Royal Canadian artillery decals

Cool, I’ll get them in the mail tomorrow assuming I can find a stamp

1 Like

Thanks a million! I think I’ll be able to progress in a couple weeks

Think I’m gonna like this machine! The basic Cricut star has slanted sides, well that’s no good! Found an image of the US star on Google saved it to my phone images and then used the built in cricut tools to remove the background and sharpen the edges. And about an hour of learning later I have this.

Tomorrow I’ll try my hand at lettering. If I can figure that out I likely won’t need to buy any decals thanks to @Canmedic donation of the AOS and 3CID markings

4 Likes

This site and you guys are awesome. There are still great people in the world. Happy New Year.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Everytime I have an issue some has a very quick innovative idea to help, or the part I need.

Stencil cut letters aren’t gonna work. As @Canmedic predicted they are too small for the cutter to cut cleanly, and removing the backing paper is a challenge. I’ll have to source some correct stencil letters, but those should be the only decals I need!

1 Like

@Canmedic i may have found a solution after a lot of YouTube for cutting small letters. I only have the small cricut joy so I was a tad limited. If you have the bigger ones you can apparently clean the blade, then set it to Washi tape setting and cut vinyl nice!

In the absence of this I experimented with different settings. I used masking tape on the mat, and then set it to printer paper with light pressure. I think it turned out really well. Might play around some more but this is encouraging

3 Likes

Oh cool! I’d never thought of using tape as the masking medium. Wife is out of town next week, so it’ll give me time to experiment and replace anything I break!

2 Likes

Yeah it worked surprisingly well! I think I need to go into the design space and straighten the L a bit. I couldn’t get small letters to cut on the vinyl, I think it’s a bit hard, but softer materials worked really well.

For reference these are about 3.5 mm high so pretty small

1 Like

I think I’m on the cusp of small stencil letters! Hard part is peeling tape off without breaking the fine stenciling. When I have more time I’ll try removing it more carefully with help of tweezers and a knife

3 Likes

That looks awesome! :beer: :beer: :beer:

1 Like

Yeah I’m pretty happy with how this cricut works! I think I need to finess the lettering a bit more, but I forsee more masked markings in my future

1 Like

Masks all cut out! These cricut cutters are amazing i me too get them hang of them. Took pictures of the decals, imported them, cleaned them up, and the cut them out! Set the machine to the lightest pressure setting and a single cutting sequence on masking tape

The stencil letters need a tiny bit of clean up. The connections are a bit thick in spots

I can see this machine being super useful for other things like Japanese markings, balkencruez, swastikas that are making from a lot of kits, seat belts, etc.

Thank @Canmedic for the idea!

6 Likes

Damn! Those are Beu-T-full! I can’t believe how precise those are and any letters you want. Those are better than decals, and available at your command. Nice.

I’m pretty impressed! The machines regularly go on sale for around $100 and the replace the decals would have run me $50+ so it’s already paying off!

1 Like