51 Chevy Bel Air Convertible - 1/25 AMT Kit

First shots fired with the colour coat. A bit of roughness to deal with in places, probably because of the temperatures here drying the paint in the air a bit.

Curing time, then wet sanding and maybe another shot of Blue.

Cheers, D

3 Likes

I havent used SMS paints so I don’t know whether they’re meant to dry matt or gloss, it looks the latter. The flat surfaces need some more work. I would give it a good wet sand and go again.

cheers
Michael

1 Like

D,
Same dry issues by me that’s making it hard to get the paint to flow as I’m used to. Wife said no to a humidifier for the model/computer room.

the Bel Air paint still came out looking pretty good. A good rub out and polishing should bring it up to the same standards as your DB5.

joel

1 Like

Michael, the SMS paints have a more satin finish, except for the clears, and normally lay down super smooth. This is definitely an environment issue with the high temperatures and very dry air here now.

As you said, a good wet sand should see it right.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Best way to solve the lack of humidity, is to drink more beer; the more you drink, the better your paintjob will look :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :beer:

3 Likes

I like the blue. This is going to look sharp!

Oh, and I agree with Jesper. Sure helped my darts game when I was in London. :beer:

Jim

1 Like

Detail painted the dash and door inners, then gave them a light shot of Tamiya Brown PLW and cleaned most of it off to give a little depth to the padding.

I’ve also given the body a wet sand and final coat of paint, ready for polishing and clear soon.

Cheers, D

D,
The door body panels and dash really came out great. I’m truly impressed with the Bel Air build.

joel

Well folks, I’m still alive! Life has been absolutely hectic for a couple of months now, the new job with Bosch Power Tools has ramped up and on top of that we have had to move house which meant packing everything up for a while. Overall not ideal for scale model pursuits :pensive:

Anyway, I’ve managed to scrape up some time to move a couple of builds along slowly including this one.

@Joel_W , thanks for the feedback and support mate, much appreciated as always!

The body got a shot of SMS Super Clear, interior tub assembled, time for a sneaky test fit on the rolling chassis!

Dashboard and pedals in place, engine bay inner guards and radiator installed.

Tiny detail OCD kicked in and I drilled out the holes in the steering wheel arms. Yes, I drilled 3 different size holes, just because !

I sanded the chrome off the steering wheel outer and will have a go at a leather-look finish.

Great to be back amongst things here, now I’ve got a lot of threads to read and catch up on what everybody is doing!

Cheers, D

Whew ! I was beginning to worry about you - alien abductions and all that …
Glad you’re still with us D ! Now hit the bench - no one has more irons in the fire than you mate !
Cheers - Richard

1 Like

Richard, the bench is being hit as we speak! I’m really trying to get a few of those irons out of the fire before I throw another one in, but lately my plans haven’t exactly held true :thinking: :rofl:

Thanks for checking in mate, now I’ve gotta go and see what you’ve been up to.

Cheers, D

D,
Great to have you back on the board as it’s never the same without you here. Hope that the move is just about done, and that the new job with Bosch is settling in to what you’re looking for. Gotta have time to model for sure.

The '51 Bel Air with the Super Gloss looks fantastic. I’d say that you got it down to a science.

Nice job on drilling out the steering wheel. I’m betting that plenty of guys would have used one dia. drill bit and called it a day.

Looking forward to your next up, and hoping that it’s not months in the making :pray:

joel

Your Bel-Air is really coming along nicely. The blue & white are a great combination. You drilled out the steering wheel? Ok, that’s just a little nuts! :laughing:

Jim

A little more progress on the '51 Ragtop!

Fitted off the rolling chassis to the body and installed the heater ducts and battery in the engine bay. Some alignment issues with the front end not sitting down properly (imagine that with an old AMT kit :thinking: :flushed: :rofl:) but not really visible once the grille and bumper are in place.

Dry fit of the bonnet (hood) looks good.

Test dry fit of the ragtop in raised and lowered position also works well.

And then on to the BMF !

Still a couple of small spots to foil, then detail painting some chrome fixtures. Foiling the windscreen surround was a major pain, soft and inconsistent surface details all around, but it’s done now and looks good (from a distance :laughing:).

Cheers, D

A couple of hours fiddling with details and we are done! Front and rear chromework fitted, some hand-painted chrome details, and a light panel line wash around the doors and boot lid saw this one across the line for completion #3 for 2022.

Like most old AMT kits, a few issues along the way, but a fun build and now sitting beside the '51 hardtop in the display cabinet. I will get some better photos at some stage when I can get a backdrop and lighting set up.

Oops, almost forgot, I built the little origami box that comes with the kit as well, a very neat little addition!

Cheers, D

3 Likes

Good to see you knocking them out D . One by one until the bench is empty and you are bored to death…
LOL
Cheers - Richard

1 Like

Empty? A snowball’s chance in hell my friend :rofl:

Thanks for checking in Richard, always much appreciated!

Cheers, D

D.
And #3 crosses the finish line. :checkered_flag: :medal_military:
I really love this build. Well done, and the little kit box is a great addition.

You’re getting to be the lists authority on CMF. Looks fantastic, and I can’t even get it to stick half of the time to the surface.

joel

Great looking Bel Air, D. Well done.

Jim

1 Like

Made me go look. I’ve got that one in the stash. It’s second hand, but it’s still got the origami box and the AMT sticker. :smiley: It also has a Jimmy Flinstone Panel van resin body. :smiley: :smile: :fireworks: Looks like all the parts are there :slightly_smiling_face: including a poorly painted, metal flake?, body :expressionless:
Now I gotta figure out how to strip the paint off or learn how to convert a coupe interior to a panel van. Not to mention I’ve never done a large resin body. :question: :question: :wave:

1 Like