6 levels of modelers, which are you?

This seems to be making the rounds.

10 Likes

I am a nr 2 on the rare occasions when I get time to build something.
I will not back down from a POS kit. I will WIN over that sucker and turn a sows ear into something that resembles a purse (usually accompanied by a lot of foul language)

Hmm: Twitter is a sound made by small birds. Could it be called fowl language?

8 Likes

I think I am somewhere around 3 or 4. I can’t make a kit OOB anymore and often find myself doing conversions or scratch-builds to get a version that doesn’t exist or that I want as opposed to what is available. I find it really rewarding to add extra details and interiors too. I also try to help out where I can.

6 Likes

I’m definitely a 4. I’ve been at this so long I just take everything in stride. I build and let the Zen flow. From what I hear my stuff is damn good. It makes me very happy to share what I have learned through trial and lots of error.

5 Likes

#1 for me.

2 Likes

I dunno. I’m 2.5 maybe?

Sometimes I look at stuff and think, “I’m not doing that”.

I’ve spent enough time in my life plumbing air lines and replacing chambers, air dryers, foot valves and PP1s in real life to want to do air brakes on a model.

Ditto for most hydraulic hoses. I once worked in a shop where we made and installed hydraulic hoses. You haven’t lived until you’ve crawled into a garbage truck body to replace a ram hose in July.

7 Likes

some where between 2 & 3 for me.

1 Like

I know my limits - I’m a 2

2 Likes

Definitely Number 4.

1 Like

somewhere between 3 and 4. however, that does not mean that I consider myself any good in it

2 Likes

The chart is outstanding but incomplete, it should have…

#7) The Trophy :trophy: Hound :dog2: or TDog

The only thing that matters is winning the maximum number of trophies possible. Out of box models are built to the letter of the rules. Detailed models are built if that’s the prescription to win.
Maximum return of hardware for time invested is what matters. Enjoyment is irrelevant.

Am a #7 at heart, striving to reform into something less poisonous, ideally a #4 but probably look more like a #5 to others.

7 Likes

You’re not poisonous at all Wade - your build reviews are really even handed in the credit and criticism of kits. As a 2, they are really helpful in identifying those kits that will give me what I want/can handle.

3 Likes

Definitely between 1 and 2.

3 Likes

A 2, looking to rachet things up a bit with my impending retirement and the ability to spend more time researching and working on the skills I’ll need to approach a 3. It’s been too long since I had the time to put effort into modeling. With some kits being researched for purely sentimental reasons – an old Revell Burton Island kit that I’ve been digging through the memorabilia I inherited from my father to build to match the Staten Island when he was serving aboard her, for example.

3 Likes

I’m a #1.

2 Likes

Between 1 and 2 because I do no scratchbuilding at all,but I will try some new stuff here and there

3 Likes

I bounce between 3 and 4… or at least I like to think that I do… :wink:

2 Likes

Definitely a #4. Build mostly OOB only AM might be indy tracks, replacement barrel, or resin stowage.

2 Likes

I am about a one and a half.

3 Likes

Number 4, and it’s a serious addiction! I simply cannot turn out a shake-n-bake OOB build, and not because I want to show off like the 5s & 6s…

2 Likes