8 Wheelers from 1965 - to Present

Kit tires, although it really bugs me that the wheels are inaccurate.

Specifically for that type ?

No images, just did some detail painting, windscreen wipers, inserts for side windows and their frames.
Assembly of the SA22s is done, they are pretty straightforward. They mount onto the guns and then an outboard side panel, and it’s an extremely tight fit ( no jokes Robin or Ryan :grin:) it was so tight I have almost convinced myself I fitted something incorrectly…
Have decided on the paint. It’s going to be sand …100%

1 Like

What! I haven’t said anything about anything…… :sunglasses:

1 Like

They’re incorrect overall. Detail is simplified, there is no tire inflation valve, details are in the wrong position or incorrectly sized, and they just look “off.” Here’s a link the PMM review that has pictures of the Trumpeter tires, the real ones, and the AFV club ones: Trumpeter 00375 M1126 Stryker (ICV)

1 Like

Progress!

Lower hull and wheel stations are all together. Sooo much cleanup though. Also the fit and alignment of the various differentials was terrible. I should have taken a picture, but they’re a 3 piece sub unit. I’m pretty sure the design of one of the parts was in metric, one in imperial and one in cubits.

I’ve also jumped ahead and starting masking the upper hull so I can apply anti-slip.

4 Likes

@Canmedic I had the same exact fit issues with my Stryker. Looking at your pics, I think Trumpeter uses the same parts for the Stryker and LAV III kits (not surprising, but still unfortunate given the fit issues).

2 Likes

At least their on the bottom. So far everything else has fit well enough.

@Canmedic nice start on your build , too bad the driveline was problematic
@Johnnych01 sand will look great on the huge Pantsir, looking forward to your progress

1 Like

Hopefully will get some paint on in the next few days now I’m on 4 days off

With the size of the Pantsir you might just have enough time then :grinning:

1 Like

I think it’s going to need a few coats haha…
Now, the sand colour. I have done the guns and missile tubes in AKRC099, Russian greyish yellow which I thought was the sandy colour, but I’m not sure if it’s to light ?

Now it’s only 1 coat by brush as this are the trickiest parts to paint as the painted areas on the tubes are the inner surfaces, and the guns are hidden behind the tubes, so I wanted to ensure they had an even coat of paint before assembly. Does it look to light ? I’m unsure … ???

Edit: I went down the AK route as 099 looks like the only sandy colour they do unless I’ve missed it … (Which I probably have) and checking the destructions again, they say something in Russian, and then the equivalent Tamiya paint, which is XF 59, desert yellow…which is the route I will take …
Note to self …read instructions fully :blush:

6 Likes

I think it looks great, nice light color… can always make up your own color by mixing a bit of a light brown into it…

1 Like

So assuming you’re going for something like this

That Russian Yellow Green or whatever it is is probably a hair too light but hard to tell because it’s just the one brush coat. I bet the Tamiya will tend too far towards Yellow. Maybe a mix of the two might be your best bet?

Those Syrian ones your posted before look like the same brown- pink as uniforms that Russian troops in Syria are wearing. Which in my brain is pretty close to AK 032 WWII British Desert Sand

1 Like

Got my anti-slip down

Ended up using this stuff

I think is the same stuff as the Tremclad texture paint others have used, but I’m not entire sure. Regardless, the exact product I’ve seen isn’t available in Canada and this is.

I did a test coat on my paint mule and thought it turned out ok, but I’m less thrilled with this result. The “paint” isn’t. I was expecting paint with texture, but this stuff is almost like a plastic film when it dries. I had to go a lot thicker than I wanted to get sufficient coverage with the grit and ended up filling in some detail. I’ve done what I can to clean it up, but because it forms a film, it wants to pull up surrounding areas. I may try again once it cures.

5 Likes

That’s what I use, except a different colour, I think it’s desert bisque or something like that.

This is the Tamiya XF59 next to AK coloured gun … I think I’m going to use that, but maybe lighten it just a tad …

2 Likes

Xf-59 is a bit dark and the weathering will darken it even more. You’d better add some XF-59 Buff to it.

Olivier

1 Like

Thanks Olivier… I will do a few test runs using that mix :+1:

Top and bottom came together today. Fit between the two halves is poor.

Not so bad in the front, and most of that will be covered with other bits

But the back is out by ye olde country mile

Managed to slowly tease things together over the course of the day, but there was still a substantial gap around the rear bulkhead, so I dropped in a bead of sprue goo.

Wasn’t my first choice, but the gap was uneven in both size and the axis that was out of alignment. The alternative was a lot of scribing to fit in a plastic shim piece and scribing and I don’t have a very healthy relationship. I think it’ll sand out ok.

4 Likes

Nice recovery Don, that should hopefully sand down ok though. Does that Stryker come with a high rear stowage platform as well ? if it does, that should help cover that area as well ?