About Off - Topic Shenanigans

And @barnslayer … Brilliant clips… You have to love that original series.

1 Like

That looks like it should be a clip from “Carry on up the Enterprise”!

Or “Carry on up the Federation”!!!

Sorry, Carry on films may be a UK only phenomenon;

I have just locked a thread as it is turning into east v west. All governments lie to their people to various degrees and these threads are getting members backs ups. Member on member does not make for a pleasant atmosphere as we all get bent out of shape. The children are currently playing with their toys and their is nothing anyone can really do about it except maybe be left glowing in the dark.

4 Likes

It’s from an early original series episode where the crew members get infected by a microbe that has an alcoholic beverage like intoxication effect upon them, and loosens their inhibitions. Sulu’s D’Artangnan act is just one of the fun parts…

2 Likes

Boring real life story form the late 1990’s regarding talking about equipment.

Several model club friends and I were at a Japanese restaurant enjoying a long lunch after visiting the local hobby shops. Conversation drifted from Iraq, to Saddam H & his antics with the UN, to Desert Storm to Cold War Fulda Gap what if’s.

Two strikingly attractive young women at a near table, in their early 20’s appeared to be listening intently, no actually ease dropping on our silly conversion. Being in full blown Asperger’s mode, I rattled off data based on what could be scoured from written & internet sources the on how incredibly resistant M1A1HA Abrams tank frontal arc had proved to be against Soviet designed APDS rounds. One of the women clearly got upset :rage: when I mentioned how poorly the USSR designed T-72 had faired when hit by Western DU APDS rounds, splitting in half popping their turrets like popcorn.

Someone from our table asked if we (meaning me) were too loud and bothering them. One of the young women, the one who wasn’t upset said everything was good then added her friend was from St. Petersburg.

Oh my! I had been a rude Capitalist Pig, dogging the old USSR designed T-72’s for going up like roman candles etc. :flushed: Feeling like a jerk, I asked her what St Petersburg was like. To my surprise, she engaged and spent the next twenty minutes discussing travel with us. She was very well mannered & polished, and made an outstanding impression of being very intelligent and well traveled.

In short, her father had been a top communist party member with all of the perks and privileges. Shortly after the wall came down, he’d sent her off to school in the west, USA specifically because the world had changed.

She liked Los Angeles & Chicago with their cosmopolitan atmosphere. She absolutely detested, Gastonia, North Carolina with its nothing to do & backwards attitudes. (LOL, I earned that one.)

Had the world changed?

My friends & I had been waxing nostalgic about the Cold War Fulda scenario like it was 1982 with T-72 & T-80’s vs Leo 2, Challenger & M1’s.

Sure enough she laughed and mentioned we sounded awful lot like her father’s friends…

Two points to long rambling post.

1. We have more in common than we realize. Sometimes it’s bizarre what’s in common.

2. Talking about equipment can be unintentionally offensive in some circumstances even if based best available facts.

5 Likes
  1. People intent on being offended will find a way to achieving their goal.
5 Likes