Academy 1/350 Admiral Graf Spee

Hey Mark.
In the final product I give the entire deck with thinned down brown wash.
This is the result.

I kinna liked it thou IMHO. Thanks for the suggestion thou.

6 Likes

look forward to your build

1 Like

Thanks Rob

The main citadel section has a fit issue.
The 3 balconies on the left and right has the same fitting issues. It seems like how much I try or force to fit, it will not meet with the railing wall (aka. nasty gap). See pic.

But with some putty, it can be covered.

4 Likes

Thank god for putty. Nice work on making the correction.

Mark :beer:

1 Like

Thanks Mark.

I found it easier to paint certain parts by gluing an anchor point made from sprue gate, in which you can attach an alligator clip so you can paint the parts easier.

Here are just a few parts that I attached anchor point:

20211211_133058
20211211_133031
20211211_133004
20211211_133046

… alligator clips on, ready for painting, and/or weathering, or whatever with ease:

20211211_133219
20211211_133129
20211211_133241

But of course everybody has their own method.

7 Likes

Spend the afternoon doing micro drilling.
I remember that on the newer kits, they dont made the hole to deep on small gun barrel size. I guess the idea was so that the modeler can just fill the hole with some dark ink to give it an illusion of depth.

20211211_180431

5 Likes

Ben, that’s a great tip glueing a bit of spare runner inside the parts to allow holding with clamps! I may just have to borrow , cough, steal, cough, that idea!!! :+1::cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Glad it is useful Russ :+1:

2 Likes

You’re getting this ship building stuff down. Build and paint in sub assemblies, and you’ll be just fine, like right here.

2 Likes

Great tip! I’m always finding ways to hold small parts for airbrushing. I normally drill a small hole and super glue a toothpick in, but this a fairly weak hold, and requires some clean up. I’ll be using this technique for sure

1 Like

Thanks for the nice word Stik.
I found out that it is similar like building planes, but definitely not like building armor/tanks. Some assembly feels like building gunpla.

1 Like

Sometime I can get away by paying attention on how I cut the part from the sprue.
For example the small part below, I cut all sprue gate close to the part, the last sprue gate I cut it with the gate in which still hold the part. This still “attach sprue gate to the part” should be the point in which will not be visible or painted one the part is attach to another part.

I then can attach my clip to it. See pic. Hope this is clear.
NOTE: As the part gets smaller, the nipper use must be extremely sharp otherwise risking breaking the part. Some part I had to use God Hand for a clean and save cut.

20211212_104018

6 Likes

Ben, that’s often one of my favorite methods :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

joining in late but great work so far!
Even if you’re new to ships, you know your modeling skills, what you’ve accomplished so far really looks fine, you’re on a really good way!
Sorry for me being late and quiet, once move and all is accomplished, I’ll try to be bit more active!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

No problem there Jan. Thanks for dropping by.

Glue part E3 here… but there is a nasty gap. At least a good 1mm

2 Likes

Hi Carves, nice work so far!

As far as I can see from my pics this is the base of the mainmast not a steam pipe (Diesel!) Cut it off, drill a hole through the black part and replace the mast with brass pipe or copperwire. Will be much more stable then anyway :slight_smile:

Cheers

Tom

2 Likes

The support beam is to be corrected because it gave the sore to my eyes.
I found a similar size of rod in my stash o’parts which is closest to original. The rod I use is 1.5mm and the original is 1.7~mm. I tried matching it with 2.0mm rod and it is to big.

Then primed and painted and glue to the chimney cover.

Once dry, cut to size and attach.
Now it looks better.

Ship experts or anyone feel free to comment.

3 Likes