Academy M151A1 ***COMPLETED***

Only 2.2 km …

Brilliant Robin! I just tried to portray that “Where the hell are we moment” with the figures and the map (and the sign of course); I recall that one spent about 75% of one’s time on exercise trying to be sure that one was where one should be(!)

Too bad the Germans are so uptight with their privacy, can’t risk the wife seeing hubbys Merc parked outside his mistress house when he was supposed to be on a business trip in another town.
They are also blanking out the passenger seat on the speed-cam photos …
No Google street views from Germany …

Have you heard about the Fugawi tribe?
They are rather short and they got their name when they were discovered in the tall elephant grass, jumping up and down trying to look over the grass shouting something which the explorers interpreted as: We’re the Fugawi.
The chiefs name back in those days was Dogonifino

1 Like

I have indeed heard of this tribe; it constituted a verse of an especially obscene song we used to sing - mainly in the backs of trucks - during my early years in training - in transit from some dreary training area to another. I can’t remember many of the verses save that they could go on for ever; perhaps that was the idea, but at least it passed the time.

British soldiers singing? There’s a surreal image perhaps.

I’m loving all the photos, comments, and reminiscing guys! Nice to see that this little project has stirred up some interest. I do plan on doing several more MASSTER camo builds down the road. So the suggestion of painting this scheme by brush might come in handy. It was the 70’s era “hollow army” but at least the vehicles looked warlike.

I’m with you on that; 'always planned to do loads of MASSTER models but have never quite gotten around to it (only have around 4 completed so far) and God knows there’s enough candidates in my stash. That said, the new utility and accessibility of the site has now encouraged me to get a move on!

Just as an aside - if you haven’t seen it - you might be interested in (or not!) in my MBT 70 under “Test to see if I can post a picture - mbt 70” a bit further down the line on this section; that’s not to say I’m fishing for compliments but rather more a reflection of my interest in the scheme.

Keep at it; where are you going to get your black stars from? I used stencils on my MBT 70.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I’ll go have a look at your MBT-70. That’s a dream project of mine to get a 1/35 MBT-70 and paint it in a “what if?” MASSTER scheme. As for black stars for this, I’ll be getting them from my decal spares drawer. I have a few from various older kits. I’m just having a bear of a time coming up with bumper codes…

I finished up the camo today. Then went back with a brush and hit the few areas where the masked areas didn’t quite meet up properly and the base color came thru where it should not.

Behold the MASSTER (camo)! I really do like this scheme!

Next up all the detail painting before weathering and decals…

4 Likes

Very nice Carlos, very nice. Bumper codes can be a real problem, especially to me as I don’t really understand the system(!)

However, Perfect Scale Modellbau produce a couple of sets (large and small) in black and white and I think aren’t too expensive.

Thanks Brian. I have seen the Perfect Scale decals online. I just don’t know if I want to wait so long for them to arrive as they have to come from overseas. Jeeps definitely take the smaller size codes compared to most other vehicles. The US Army bumper code system is actually pretty simple to decipher. The higher element-army,corps,or division, is followed by battalion on the left side, and the company and platoon or individual vehicle number on the right. Commanding officer vehicles are often numbered “6”. I have no idea where that tradition started, but it’s also used as shorthand for radio as well, with the commander being referred to as “Six actual”

Realizing it’s still a WIP, the radio equipment would still be in that peculiar OD color. The mounts were usually included in the camo paint, but the RT-524 and 442 would remain OD. Still following your work!

Thanks M75. Yes, now it’s a choice as to which OD that I have onhand here to use on the radios. As well as the Jerry can on the rear and the shovel & axe on the sides. I’m also wondering if the bows for the top could have been left in the original Dark OD by the painting crew.

cammo looks great mang

Thank you Deepsix.

Today was detail painting: seat cushions, shovel & axe, radios, etc… mostly using different ODs for some tonal variety.

5 Likes

Looking sharp. Just did the Takom M60A1 in the same scheme, 11AC in the Fulda Gap.

Very nice! Do you have photos of that build on here?

I’ve never posted photos of my builds. No camera, still use a flip phone. I do have a friend who has a pro setup so maybe I’ll ask him to take some pictures of some of my stuff. I can tell you that it was a great kit, no issues. Comes with real rubber tracks, not vinyl, that connect with a metal pin.

A guy in the AMPS Chapter where I used to live built their USMC ERA M60A1 kit when it was released. What a gorgeous kit that is.
I do hope that you can get photos of your builds up here sometime.

It may not look like much progress, but I finished up the detail painting that I need to do before gloss coat for decals, washes, etc…

3 Likes

I have also built that kit. Took it to Armorcon and got best USMC for it. Also took it to IPMS Nationals in TN and got a 1st Place. I’ll try to get Pics of that too.

I love the MERDC more :slight_smile:

But your M151 looks really great in MASTER :+1:

Here s one from 3/11 ACR , Killer-Troop in Reforger :slight_smile: :

4 Likes