African Nations - Land, Sea, Air or Elephant platforms- Friend or Foe

Hi ya, it’s the Takom kit with French wheels, I managed to source wheels very similar to the lugged style tyres used by the SADF. Some additional work is required to the back end to mimic a Mk7 Eland. This vehicle had an air-cooled engine and the way the engine is mounted is different as well, not that you will see it. No spare wheel is carried either.

Hope that helps?

1 Like

That is a cool build, not as elegant as the Rooikat though…

But I do appreciate the squat, no nonsense look.

Nicely done.

Ready to receive primer and paint!

5 Likes

OK, how are folks doing? We have a month left. Is anyone going to need any extra time?

If it only goes for the Ratel, I’ll probably manage. I don’t think I will be able to have a dio ready in this time…

I have finally managed to do the assembly, I cheated by doing the landing gear retracted but I think it will look way better in the end.

Lots of sanding, filling, shaping etc.

I need to prime, scribe, sand a bit more and then off for painting.

I should be able to finish in four weeks, so I am ok with the current deadline

3 Likes

Nice. I do all my 1/72 planes wheels up and like that look. But I can put them on a flight stand kind of display. I haven’t figured out how to do a flight stand for the larger 1/48 planes, but I love the wheels up look, so bravo!

That’s really nice Nikos. Going look great displayed.
The Bucc is a big aircraft at 1/72, she must be HUGE at 1/48!

Now I’m going to confess that I had almost forgotten about this campaign and I’ve not started that Portuguese Fiat Gina I planned to build. Time permitting I might be able to make a start this weekend. Will I make the deadline? I don’t know.

I will do a I-I (inverted Π) shaped stand (not that big about 5 cm/2 inches long and place the belly of the plane in the middle atop, the shape of the bomb bay really help to display this beast.

@phantom_phanatic it is 40cm long (16 inches) long in 1/48. A magnificent beast.

1 Like

I am not going to finish on time. I have the LVT 4 and Bofors built and the platform and shields almost done for the Bofors. I still need to scratch build some seats, etc, for the rear. On the surface plenty of time, but I am taking the wife to Italia on Sunday - for 5 weeks…

No matter, I’ll still post final results here when I do get it finished anyway.

1 Like

Enjoy the trip. :+1:

Don’t know if I will finish in time, I have changed from the Hind to a Rhino and Ranger figure. Will post more this weekend.

1 Like

A lot of progress on my Libyan SU-22. I had to redo the paint three times. A lot of problems with the paints - too thin, bad coverage etc.

Really a lot of mistakes to fix still and the surface details have been blurred by all the extra paint layers.

In retrospect I should have painted it by brush. That would have given a better result.

This one is really fighting me :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Slowly getting there - most decals are on.

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Both looking great @SGTJKJ Jesper - colours look nice and Nikos @gtdeath13 that Bucc looks massive ! what colours were they ? and was it just in the SAAF ?

2 Likes

I hope this answers your questions:

Regards,

M

3 Likes

Yeap, that is what I am hopping to do…

4 Likes

I was across the runway @ AFB Waterkloof when I started my apprenticeship at 12 Sqd, Canberra’s.

I had no idea the Bucc served in South Africa. Very interesting and a very different camo scheme.

I declare my entry for this campaign finished :
Fine Scale Molds SADF Ratel-90 Mk 2. The wheels are not level, but that will not be a problem, as this will be covered by the diorama that will follow in the future.
The kit leaves quite some to be wished for, but I mostly built it straight out of the box. Yet I had to create a new shock absorber with spring, since there were only 5 included.
Now for the photos:

9 Likes

Oh, and further weathering will be done once it will be put in the dio.

1 Like