AFV Club (35125) 60cm Flakscheinwerfer (Flak-Sw 36) mit Sd.Ah.51 (searchlight)

AFV Club (35125) 60cm Flakscheinwerfer (Flak-Sw 36) mit Sd.Ah.51

Back in 2014, I was trying-out various kit manufactures when I decided on this fun little AFV Club kit. I built this basically OOB… with a catch. :grin:

And more recently, a fellow KitMaker member asked if I would post my build here. So here we go…

The transporter starts out with some nice detailing and goes together quite nicely.

[Disclaimer: The two ammunition magazines located at the inside of the transporter’s fenders are incorrect and should not be used.]

Next, the searchlight base.

And then, the searchlight mount with a nice touch of PE.

Now the housing and lens ring with nice PE baffles.

In this step, the tiny latches were extremely fiddly.

The searchlight cradled onto its transporter assembly looks kind of cool with two different colors of styrene.

Paint Specs:
• Vallejo Grey Primer (73.601)
• Vallejo Base Grey (71.097)
• Vallejo Dark Rubber (70.306)
• Vallejo Liquid Mask (70.523)
• Vallejo Matt Varnish (70.520)

Washes:
• Vallejo Rust (76.506)
• Vallejo Dark Rust (76.507)
• Vallejo European Dust (76.523)
• Vallejo Desert Dust (76.522)

Hope you enjoy!

Cheers!:beer:
—mike

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing the build up review. I’ve recently purchased this kit but have not started yet.

2 Likes

Very nice Mike…
Yeah, as you say, the foil is not correct - the inside should be gray too, only the mirror at the rear was a reflective surface. Nice idea with the led though.

@KoSprueone

There is also this thread from Angel, one of our guru scratch builders, which has some detail pics and info on accuracy mods if you are interested.

3 Likes

Hi guys, thank’s for stopping buy!
Yes indeed, Angel’s thread is the real deal for accuracy. :mag_right:

—mike

1 Like

It is always good to see what you are up to…

2 Likes

Victory Museum - Auburn, Indiana

3 Likes

Nice Luftwaffe version, Mike!
Thanks for the pictures,

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

@ 165thspc: Nice reference pics. Pretty sure I’ve seen them before. Looks like I left off a ton of parts and cables.:thinking: But as mentioned, my version and images are from 2014 and was built Out Of Box … or it’s “in a box” now… and it’s stayin’ that way. :grin:

—mike

1 Like

Just trying to offer general reference on the topic.
I have one under construction building right out of the box as well!

2 Likes

Always good to see more pics so you can compare Michael. The light painted equipment is much easier to see details on than darker ones. As Angel says, it is a great example of one without the internal shutter arrangement.

1 Like

Museum one also has the ammo box, at least on one side. And looks like the rack for one on the other. So not necessarily inaccurate.

2 Likes

Yes, but I am leery of one off example Museum pieces, as quite often they are cobbled together from various pieces of equipment or similar parts. Have a look at Bovington’s Panther with the solid guide horns - made especially for them and not original.

1 Like

I can second what Peter wrote.

IMHO the Sd.Anh.51 used here comes from a 2.0 cm.Flak 30/38, thus the ammo box on the RH side fender.
I don’t see a frame for ammo box on the LH side fender either, what I see is one of the supports of the fender.

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

I tend to agree with Peter. I’d put more faith in photo evidence than museum Franken-displays. Easy enough to omit the 50,000 candle-power magazines altogether.:candle:… or maybe use them as lunch-boxes instead? :sandwich::beer:

Happy searching the starless skies!:bulb:
—mike

2 Likes

Ah, yes, the much requested Sd.Anh.51 mit brotdosen, second most requested version after the Sd.Anh.51 mit Bierfess :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Thanks for posting. It looks great. I should have bought this when it first came out, but apparently other kits must have caught my eye. I may have to locate and buy this one.
Cheers!

chuck

3 Likes

‘German SW-36 Searchlight.’ Available at Scale Hobbyist

Note: No affiliation with company.

1 Like

Thanks, Mike. I kind of thought it would be a ‘hit and miss’ ebay search.

Cheers!

chuck

I’m sure the sole purpose of the Special Trailer with Bierfass was to offer a special service during the Bierfest :wink:

But here is a picture from the Sd.Anh.51 manual, showing the version used for carrying the Flakscheinwerfer 60 cm:
Vorderansicht Sd.Anh.51 f.Flakscheinwerfer 36

Sorry guys- there are no bread cans and no beer barrels present.
And no 2.0 cm Flak ammo holders too.

Cheers,
Angel

2 Likes