AFV Club 60 cm. Flakscheinwerfer 36 build

Thanks for the info angel

Wonderful work Angel. It looks fantastic.

I did note a mould seem on top of the Fire Extinguisher… macro is evil…

1 Like

Thanks Peter!

I know this mold seam :wink:

The fire extinguisher comes from Tamiya’s Panzer IV On Board Equipment set and is still not glued, but mounted on a styrene strip. I kept it like this to avoid primer/paint accumulation on said strip(it is a tight fit already).
But I will eventually take it off and give it some sanding before applying the
Dunkelgrau.

In the meantime: base- and lightening colors applied, flat clear sprayed, instrument panel mounted

Cheers,
Angel

9 Likes

WOW Angel the detail and craftsmanship are absolutely amazing. Your work is stunningly realistic.

2 Likes

Incredible is all I can say. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Matt and DVSand!

:beer:
Angel

Well, I finished the Maschinensatz:

Will show it to some modelling buddies on Friday evening and hear what they have to say.

Thanks for your support and kind feedback!

:beer:
Angel

7 Likes

Looks great, Angel! :electric_plug::zap:

1 Like

Thanks Mike!

It was a fun build too,

:beers:
Angel

That is just total sheer quality Angel. Fantastic work. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Awesome work Angel, I am very much enjoying your build. Best regards…Dale

1 Like

I’m sure that your buddies will have nothing but good things to say. It is great.

1 Like

Hi Angel, your Flakscheinwerfer build is fantastic, no surprises there! I have the same AFV kit coming soon.

Just wondered a few things…….

Would these have been used by the luftwaffe in conjunction with say a Flak 36? and could these have been towed by a luftwaffe kettenkraftrad?

Sort of thinking of a little diorama with a flak, kettenkraftrad, and this AFV spotlight. All luftwaffe, which I guess would all be in panzergrau finish. Possible?

1 Like

Hi David

The effective range of the 60 cm one was only serviceable for 20mm-37mm flak guns. The Flak 36 were paired with much larger, more powerful 150 cm searchlights.

The maximum towing capacity of the Kettenrad was 450 kg. This is what the 2 cm Flak 30 weighed and the searchlight is on basically the same trailer so at a pinch it could have been used to move a searchlight to a new position at an airfield.

I doubt it would have been used to transport it any larger distance given that the crew, generator, etc would all have to have been transported as well, and that would mean a truck - thus negating the usefulness of a Kettenrad. Also, these searchlights were not used as a single piece of equipment for the field, but rather in groups.

2 Likes

Not much to add to what Peter said, David!

The 60 cm. Fl. Sw. 36 was used with the light AAG(2.0 cm Flak 30, 2.0 cm. Flak 38, 2.0 cm Flakvierling and the 3.7 cm Flak 18/36/37/43).

Luftwaffe was its primary user, with the Kriegsmarine being the second one(there it served mainly for ship-to-ship communications and had a special lever rotating the vanes).

The 60 cm. Fl. Sw. 36 was usually towed by a dedicated vehicle Flakscheinwerferwagen (Kfz. 83), built mainly on Krupp Protze chassis, with some Horch 1a chassis also utilised, that also carried the Maschinensatz(generator) providing power for its operation, various spares(coal rods e.t.c.) and the operating crew(3+ driver and commander).

The Fl. Sw. was heavier than the 2.0cm. Flak 30, so it being towed by the Kettenkrad would be an exception and for short distances only. This might have happened- everything is possible at war.

HTH,
Cheers,
Angel

3 Likes

Thanks @petbat and @ayovtshev for the information, much appreciated and it will be put to good use! (one day when I finish some other WIP kits)

2 Likes