Airbrush recommendation

I have a Badger Sotar. I like it, but I still purchased an Iwata HP-CH. I have used an Iwata for a long time and am used to the way it feels in the hand and know how to take it apart and clean it already. I do think you should see what you can do with the airbrush you have. On AdTube, there are lots of airbrush videos from folks who aren’t model makers who show how to thin paint and hold the brush to get a very fine line. You may end up with a smaller needle brush eventually, but it might be worth seeing what you can do with what you’ve got, which might be more than you think?

FWIW, my finest lines are with thinned down Tamiya paint. I can’t get results as good with Mr Hobby Mr Color paints - not sure why. AK real colors work better for me than Mr Hobby but not as well as Tamiya.

FWIW from a airbrush nob I’ve got 2 HSeng cheapies. 1 with a mac valve. A$30 and A$80 and they seem fine. (Subject to user error). Come with 3 needles. .3, .5 and .8. For the money I can do a throwaway every year and still not pay for a high end brush.

I have these two currently.
Iwata High-Line HP-CH
and an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS

I am an Iwata Fan boy so just a heads up. Both are fine airbrushes with a very good reputation.

The HP-CH will do everything you ever ask of it. It is an investment. About $310 MSRP
but can be found for about $250 :hot_face: I do all of my fine, delicate work with this one but it really could do all of my work.

The HP-CS is a good airbrush that will do 95 % of everything you want to do. It is about $190 :neutral_face: It can be found for about $170. Nothing worthwhile is cheap. It is my primary airbrush

Word of experience. I race slot cars. I get good equipment and tools. I tune the car to the best I can get. I don’ t want the car to be the reason I am not competitive.
The guy that owns the track can take an untuned, brand new out of the box, noncompetitive car and beat most people. Including me. The moral of the story is someone with a lot of skill and practice can take POS equipment and get good work out of it. The tool is important but the artists skill level and years of practice is where perfection comes from.

5 Likes

I have two Iwatas as well. A top and side cup (upgraded to a larger Aztec cup). I like the side cup more especially cause I mix in the cup and the needle is not in the way.

One place I shop for airbrushes and supplies. I don’t know about now but they used to cheaper then many others. https://www.dixieart.com/

Top is correct, practice is the key.

HTH

1 Like

Spot on… control, mixture, pressure and distance.

1 Like

Mead93, I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS for everything. Super easy to use for even fine work and cleans up in no time… worry free. Plus, Apple (that’s her name) at Iwata is very helpful and replies quickly to questions.

2 Likes