Ak interactives field grey

Help, I’m not sure why but I’m blanking all the sudden. I have so interactives field grey paint set but can’t remember if the green grey is for post 1941 or pre. Is it green grey for the early years and the grey for the later years? Here’s the picture in question

2 Likes

The true field grey on the left was early\mid war years. The rougher, grey uniforms are late war.

2 Likes

@SSGToms thank you, i had a brain freeze last night when comparing the green from the First World War to World War Two. Then panicked because i thought i had been doing it all wrong for the past years.

1 Like

Both of the uniforms shown here are M1936 Service Tunics, as evident by the dark blue-green collars, pleated pockets and three-pointed pocket flaps. The blue-green collar and blue-green shoulder straps were replaced in May 1940, after the Battle of France. These are merely color variations of the same uniform, the one on the right being that of an NCO, as seen by the collar braid.

The M1940 Service Tunic.

The M1943 Service Tunic.

Note the lack of pocket pleats and straight-cut flaps.

This photo shows the great amount of variation due to different manufactures, dye lots, fabric composition, fading, etc. The color shift trends towards more brownish hues late in the war, as fabrics used recycled fibers from captured Soviet uniforms and other replacement items.

Reichswehr uniform items, in M1929 feldgrau but with a darker greenish-grey facing cloth, should have been withdrawn by 1937, but were still occasionally encountered in the 1939 / 40 period.” - The German Army 1939-45 (1), Osprey Pub., page 15.

There is also the rarely encountered M1944 uniform as well.

2 Likes

@paska okay, so it appears i am on track with my color usage. I just get confused sometimes on this. I have seen the Polish campaign and French campaign mismatch uniform of green top and grey bottoms. It appears that this changed to one uniform color as you talked about because of dye usage and manufactures.

1 Like

These side-by-side images from the above-mentioned book, show both grayish and bluish versions being used at the same time, in this case, Poland.

There was certain amount of latitude given to uniform regulations, especially for officers. Early war items were invariably made of higher quality materials and were commonly worn until they became unusable. This led to an increasingly complex variety of uniform items being seen at the same time.

Note the officer on the far right in the rear is wearing a Reichswehr uniform, as evidenced by the greater number of buttons. It was common for officers to wear tailor-made uniforms instead of those issued to the general troops, this led to a confusion variety of uniform features that defies explanation.

3 Likes

@paska this is some great reference material. I always wondered how they got away with wearing what they wanted. I figure a CSM would have an aneurism with all the color variations and uniform options. Always wondered how one guy could wear Dot 44 and the other have dot 44 pants on and a Spring camo pattern as well and then the third guy have an autumn pattern on. So much confusion it’s great.

1 Like

The trousers are another story.

" These trousers are commonly referred to as “M36” trousers by collectors and students of military uniform history, presumably because they were part of the uniform when the “M36” field blouse (Feldbluse) was adopted. However, they actually date back to the 1920s when a right rear pocket was added to the traditional trousers. The color was “stone gray” (steingrau), a heathered gray felted wool. The trousers were cut fairly full and featured straight legs, two slash pockets in front, a watch pocket and the traditional high waist and V-notched back with rear waist adjustment belt.

Since each soldier was issued four pair of trousers at the beginning of the war, almost 15,000,000 of these trousers were in use by active soldiers at the time of the invasion of Poland. There were also untold millions stockpiled in preparation for war. In early 1940, the decision was made to stop acquiring stone gray wool and to make future production in the same color (field gray) as the feldbluse. The field gray M40 service trousers began to show up in the field around the time of the invasion of Russia and became predominant about 1942, but stone gray trousers continued to be issued from old stock and worn by the troops right up until the end of the war."

Upper photo in Stone gray, lower in Field gray.

1 Like

@paska well that’s an intricate trouser today the least. It sounds like no matter what color i go with as long as its past 1941 it would be accurate. Pearly war 1939 to pre Barbarossa is when green top grey bottoms would be in effect. After that it could be a variation of green and dark or faded grey trousers or vice versa. All green or all grey. Really gives some options if I’m understanding this correctly.

1 Like

You can always run late, (early uniform features on a later-war diorama), you just don’t want to have features present on uniforms that weren’t introduced until after the time period you are depicting, i.e., no field grey trousers in 1939 Poland or 1940 France, or low boots and gaiters when Jackboots were the only game in town. However, I have end of war photos showing POWs still wearing blue-green collars.

2 Likes

@paska that makes sense. Okay so i didn’t need to freak out entirely on coloring is what im starting to understand. Thank you, you’re a wealth of knowledge

1 Like