Alpine USMC 1/16

Ok folks, Alpine’s 1/16 USMC figure. Absolute joy to build and paint. I gave a preview of this one over on the figure campaign so, here’s a few more pics. Groundwork took forever! The bamboo is Evergreen tube, cut up and re-glued in sections. Vegetation is a mixture of Fed Rex and Reality in Scale stuff, all shaded & highlighted. The ground is AK Muddy Terrain paste with some Diodump jungle scatter thrown at it. Coupled with the figures I’ve been doing for the campaign, this took about six weeks on & off. Hope you like it.
G.

16 Likes

Excellent, I like it all. :+1:

1 Like

Beautiful job Lazarus! This might be the best of all you’ve done. The shade and shadow and highlights are perfectly fine. Groundwork is excellent too.

1 Like

What color did you use for the uniform and webbing ?

1 Like

Thanks lads, I had a feeling you’d be over here :grin:.
Ok Rich, bit of a long-winded explanation of colours used but, here goes, all Vallejo’s…
Right, the easy one, webbing. Green/ grey, shaded with touches of grey/ green (aye, I know…). Highlighting with deck tan added. Glaze with a very thin olive green.
Uniform base colour: 3 drops pastel green, 1/2 drop of reflective green and 1 drop of khaki. Shading, add a minute amount of German camo brown to the base mix and build up accordingly. Use the same technique as the face SBS. Highlighting, add deck tan.
The other camo colours are Japanese uniform, English uniform and chocolate brown for the big spots. I only highlighted these by adding a touch of sunny skin tone. Overall, a couple of glazes of olive green and and, there you go!
Hope this helps.
G.

3 Likes

Camoriffic! :art::paintbrush:

1 Like

As I said before outstanding work! Thanks for the run down on the colors

1 Like

Holy Moly, that’s beautiful!!!

1 Like

Great figure work.

1 Like

Fantastic work Lazarus- the camo work is nicely done and I think the green hues of the jungle ground work compliment it well while also being pretty much the perfect setting for this fig. I think you nailed the facial tones and expression too.

1 Like

Thanks gents, you know, I think you’re right. It is the best I’ve ever done. I’ve waited years to pluck up the courage to do this one, loved it when it came out. Until now, I never had the skills/ courage to do it justice or the spare cash to buy it ( don’t you love it when all your kids have grown and flown! :grin::grin:). I did hit on a big problem with it though. I can’t fit it in my wall cabinet! The bayonet sticks out too far! So, my crowning achievement has to go in the bloody cupboard! There’s a lot to be said for forward planning :cry:. Oh well, back to the campaign……
G.

3 Likes

Wow! Gary, my man!

I’m not sure if I’m more into the uniform and the way you painted the pattern or the groundwork. Perhaps even groundwork. Fantastic! Would love to know more about the plants and jungle scatter. Amazing piece altogether.

I’m sorry to hear it does not fit into your wall cabinet… Would look nice in my glass cabinet though, enough space to display it along with one of your 1/35 scale masterpieces. :wink:

Mario

1 Like

Hey Brother! Good to hear from you :grin:. Told you I’d get the hang of this eventually! Now, I know that you’re up there with the best of the figure painters so, are you going to be joining us in the campaign? We could all do with your input. Come on mate, it’s a good laugh over there!
The ground scatter from Diodump really is something else! I’ve used a few of them and never been disappointed. The ‘Dead forest scatter’ in particular is one I tend to use often. It’s good for 1/16 and, if you break it up a bit, 1/35 as well. If you go to the campaign page (hint, hint!), you’ll see how I used it on the Jeff Shiu figure. Unfortunately, since Brexit, postage has become prohibitive to the UK so, I’m waiting until I can put in a big order.
The RiS plants are unusual but very authentic. They are laser cut and you have to peel them from a backing. Attach them to thin florist wire and bend to shape. There’s a couple of resin trunks included that you can attach the leaves to as well. The big ferns and the multi-coloured thing at the front are RiS.
All the best mate,
G.

2 Likes

@Maki here you go.

Please think about joining. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks G for the details on the foliage. The reason I ask is my old, old Miniature Alliance figure of US LRRP from Vietnam that needs something like this… I think the figure was painted in the 1990s and it still needs a jungle base. :upside_down_face:

Thanks for the invite on the campaign. I’m lurking over there, but don’t think I’ll be joining this one. I’m just no good with deadlines when it comes to modeling.

Mario

2 Likes

Mario, I feel your pain, my friend. I recently found some of my converted figures that I didn’t get around to putting on bases. 22 of them! Plus part finished ones as well. At this rate, I’ll be about 80 by the time I get to them :flushed:.
It’s a shame you can’t join us on the campaign. Don’t be afraid to join in though, you have a lot of expertise that most folks over there could benefit from (no pressure mate….:smiling_imp:).
Now, the jungle scatter. Here’s a pic of the contents. Can’t go wrong for five euros.

As you can see, it’s about as comprehensive as you can get, even down to the dead leaves. I just checked Roy’s site and found that he’s doing Vietnam earth scatter as well now, so that could be useful. I wish I had known about it when I did the Verlinden Marine a few months ago.
All the best my friend,
G.

3 Likes

@Maki, I agree with Lazarus. It’s open to in progress work too. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Real nice stuff

1 Like

Love the camo, good job!

1 Like