American armor - which kits?

Ive been meaning to watch. Im very cranky with myself. I was recently in Cairnes and had a brain fart and never went to the museum. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

2 Likes

Is it being restored to it’s post-war standard? I understand the Sherman-style bogies (and tracks) were a late upgrade.

Regards,

M

I am not sure of what the final scheme will be, but yes this one has the 1942 pattern Sherman type bogies. Australia already had possession of these bogies well before the end of the war as they were originally acquired with the intention of them being used in the ongoing proposed Sentinel Tank program. They became available to use on Grants (and Lees) when that project was cancelled in 1943.

In fact, in March 1945 Australia had planned to acquire an additional 110 sets of the even later version of the bogies to replace the worn units on Grants that were expected to remain in service.

1 Like

Thinking about adding the limited edition takom M46 Payton and Jeep as a bday gift. With the AFV club M5A1 and Chaffee

Question. Would the takom keep be appropriate for a D-Day diorama? It is paired with a patton so I am not sure if it is ww2 appropriate

Planning on pairing the Jeep and M5A1

1 Like

Yes, the Takom Jeep is appropriate for D-Day and is quite a fine kit.

1 Like

As SSG Toms says, yes, the Takom jeep is accurate for WWII and D-Day. More info on it and other available jeep kits below.

2 Likes

Yes, Tamiya one is the way to go in my opinion! It’s a beauty.

1 Like

The Ram was officially assigned the designation M4A5 which basically lumps into the Sherman family. Nobody refers to it as an M4A5 tho…it shares a lot of components with the Sherman, the turret and upper hull are Canadian/British design tho…the offset turret and the unique casting of the hull give it a very interesting look, tragically none served as gun tanks, I think some were used as command tanks in the ETO but they had dummy guns.

also some had their turrets removed and were used as personnel carriers called kangaroos. I’ve been meaning to add the bronco Ram to my stash at some point…the only reason I haven’t is because I still haven’t built the resin formations conversion I bought ages ago…very cool looking machine but the least American of the Sherman family because it’s upper hull and turret were actually designed and made in Canada unlike the other Sherman variants. Even the grizzly which was built in Canada was built from American plans.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the help. Took advantage of the sprue bros AFV club sale and went with

AFV club M5A1
AFV club chaffee
AFV club Magach 6B

While I know the last isn’t American it’s on an M60 chassis so yay!

5 Likes

some M5 reference photos for ya :wink:

I also might suggest for future purchases looking at the Patton tanks: M46, M47, and M48. There are lots of paint scheme options for those. Especially for M46s in the Korean War.

3 Likes

Thanks for the pics! I am definitely gonna grab the new takom M48A5

SB has a 1/16 M5 on lighting deal today. :sunglasses:

I saw that! Looks like a great kit!! I find 1/16th armor hard to justify, it’s hard to store it and it’s so expensive :frowning: my entire SB order for the 3 AFV club kits and some zimmerit was less than that guy is regular price

I only mentioned as a M5 is “small” compared to other vehicles of the era and a much cheaper price today. Wouldn’t have if not on sale as that can be a barrier.

Oh I’m happy you mentioned it, hopefully didn’t come off as unappreciative!

That kit does look fantastic

1 Like

All good, just trying to feed your SB addiction. :crazy_face::rofl:

1 Like

Hahaha, my poor wallet!!

1 Like

Agree on the Tamiya Stuart M3!

The M26/T26 Pershing is a nice kit as well.

My M3 completed:

The Pershing work in progress:

And a M8 (Scott SPG) thrown in for good measure:

3 Likes

One more simple, well done, but older armor offering from Tamiya would be the M8 and M20 armored cars. Seen here as a work in progress.

3 Likes

speaking of M24 tanks, it seems there are at least an early and a late, plus Korean War vintage. I’ve been wanting to do a Korean War version, and a WWII version for way too long. Is there that much difference between the late and early? And what makes a Korean War version?

I also think we need to add the WWII SPG’s and perhaps some wheeled equipment. Plus lets not forget the M3 tank in all it’s many disguises. Then there is the Asuka M32 and the M31 to add to the quagmire
gary