American armor - which kits?

You are absolutely right. There are enough Sherman variations to fill a bookshelf or three. I’ve built a handful over the years, and plan to build more. BUT, most of them are boxy, green hunks of steel. Which can be, well, tedious after a while. So I get what @mead93 is saying. (BTW, I have a soft spot for British tanks too.)

I have been assuming this is one of the reasons for the over saturation of WWII German hardware in our hobby as of late - they are just so much more interesting to build and paint from a purely aesthetic point of view.

Again, all that said, one can have a lot of good bench time with a Sherman. Do it. Build a Sherman (after the M5A1). I dare you. :joy:

I do think that is what I prefer other kits.

I LOVE early war British tanks with their oddball design trying to fill a specific hole. German vehicles are really neat for their constant development.

I will likely build a Sherman again one day but it will likely be a firefly again

I think if you want a generic model it fits the build. The kit can build an A2/A3. Most of the differences is cover by the wading stacks. If accuracy is your main focus, I think Tasca/Dragon kit is more the direction to go. I have 3 or 4 of the Italeri or Tamiya Shermans cause not every project is a detail project and they are typically 1/2 the cost or more.

1 Like

@Mead93, if you like the odd-ball early Brit stuff, take a look at the Vargas Scale Models collection of odd-ball early American stuff. I’ve built almost all of them.
https://vargas-lg.myshopify.com/collections/all?page=1

Don’t know if anyone has suggested it yet, but have you considered an M22 Locust? A weekend project for sure.

Waiting to be painted. Academy M10 and Tamiya M3A1

1 Like

I wanted the bronco locust but I am having a hard time finding one for a reasonable price

Build this version of the M3.

2 Likes

The only M3 that could take on most German tanks and win!
Ken

1 Like

I remember reading about the “Haunted Tank” when I was a kid.

It started out as an M3, then an M5A1 , then an M4 and eventually it became an M1A1 Abrams.

2 Likes

Personally; out of all the military comics that showed tanks; my favorite was “KILLBOX”, by Brian Denham.

1 Like

Bronco and weekend build are words that don’t usually go together… :grin:

6 Likes

How about:

1 Like

Wow that came great Peter, nice job! Are bronco kits that bad ?

1 Like

They have a lot of tiny parts and PE so they are a slow build. But I found the one I built to be fantastic!

Ok good to know. I have several bronco kits I’ll keep that in mind.

How did the Locust build up? Found a couple in the US on eBay for good prices. Heavily leaning towards the bronco chaffee and bronco locust

Thanks for everyone’s great suggestions! Loved the discussion and ideas. I think I am going to get

Bronco M24 Chaffee from Korea
AFV Club M5A1 I’ll build as a Normandy tank.

Now just want to track down some stowage and maybe a hedge cutter for the M5A1

May also add the bronco Ram, kind of a Sherman right :lying_face: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

As Mead says, a lot of small parts and they take longer to build, which puts some modellers off. However, I have built a few Bronco kits and found each to be very enjoyable.

The Locust I did was the British one, which was based on their US version kit, so it needed some work to make it accurate. There is an issue with the kit though - the interior fittings are grossly undersized. I had planned to scratch build a correct interior, but in the end just buttoned it up.

Thanks for the heads up Peter. I’ll probably just throw a figure in the hatch if anything.

1 Like