Amusing Hobby Centurion Mk V Build

Could you comment on the crispness of the details? It might just be the photo or lighting, but to my eye the details look somewhat soft. Nice clean build regardless. :+1: :+1:

Thank you.
I am not sure I am very well qualified to comment on the kits quality.
It seems that AH wanted to produce something that looks like a Centurion with as little fuss as possible/to a price?
There are no clear parts for the optics for example.
The instructions leave a lot to be desired IMHO in some sections.
The skirts/bazooka plates are grossly over scale thickness.
The best part of the kit was the tracks.
Things like the hinges on the storage containers would probably have been done differently by another manufacturer. PE perhaps?

Thanks. That helps.

nice looking kit there Cats, The Centurion was well loved by it’s crews by all accounts. This video is all about a MK3 and despite his tendency to waffle a bit he has some interesting knowledge of the type, might inspire your build.

1 Like

Calling this one done. Don’t have the smarts to make the mantlet cover from scratch.

4 Likes

Very nicely done Cats, green looks spot on and I like the tone variations on the boz plates. The RTR guys will have you back in favour now you’ve put the eye back on. First class and nothing to fault. :+1::+1:

Thank you John.
With this build I can really say " the eyes have it " LOL

1 Like

Lol, very good :+1:. It’s a nice clean job so great effort.

1 Like

Nice an clean. Looks good. For the mantlet cover you could go old school and try tissue and white glue.

1 Like

Hi Cats,

Great build, and very subtle, but nicely done paint job, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

Was it a straightforward build, or were there any pitfalls that need looking out for?

Cheers, :beer:,

G

Thanks.
Very easy build and looks the part.
The join across the rear of the turret was the worst part for me. I had to fill, sand and restore the texture and still was not happy with the result.
As someone who normally uses only metal aftermarket tracks I was pleasantly surprised how easy the assembly of them was. Supplied loose with no clean up or glueing required.

3 Likes

Thanks for your response Cats, glad to hear it’s a relatively straightforward build as I have their AVRE version of the Centurion, :slightly_smiling_face:, whereas my experience with the AFV Club Korean War Centurion was not a good one, probably due, in the main, to my own lack of experience and skill, I put it back in the box, unfinished, in the end, :pensive:

I also built their Conqueror MK 2 kit year before last, and found it to be relatively uncomplicated, especially considering it was my first build in 40yrs.

Just seen that Amusing Hobby are set to introduce a model of the FV221 Caernarvon, it looks a bit like the Conqueror hull with a turret more reminiscent of a Centurion…might be an interesting build, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Thanks again, and cheers, :beer:,

G

1 Like

Your welcome.
I have just seen that they are going to release the Israeli version.

Yes, and also a Swedish variant methinks.

1 Like

Very nice looking build. Can you share more photos please?

Regarding the mantlet cover, you can try some good quality paper napkin and dilluted pva glue. For the edges you can cut leftover photetch sprues. It is not that hard to do and the napkin/pva part can be removed easy without damaging your work.

Thanks but I have moved on to somethng else now.
No more pictures sorry.

Hey, I use the AFV Club mantlet cover for Centurion AC35009 (type B), for my Amusing, and AFV Club Centurion models, this cover is made in thin “rubber” like material, It is very hard to paint this rubber, paint dont want to stay on this rubber. Before i used left over Tamiya Centurion Mk. III covers. AFV Club also made the (type A) cover for the Centurions with 0.50 ranging gun. According to the packing Type B cover fit the Centurion Mk. 3, 5, 5/1, 6, 7, 7/1.

I like the Amusing Centurion :
For their single link tracks,
Road wheels are in one piece.
Their plastic is like Tamiya quality.

Dont like Amusing for more or less copying Afv Club parts…
You only get the early 84mm gun.
Like Afv Club, they dont provide a mantlet cover.
And uses real shining springs in the tanks suspension.

I dont like Afv Club Centurions for:
Soft rubber band tracks.
Road wheels are 2 part, rubber and plastic glued together.
Some of the Afv Club plastic is very soft,

I have build more than 7 Afv Club Centurions, and have more than 5 in my stash
I have build 3 Amusing Centurion.

2 Likes

Is it better than AFV Club’s effort?

I have no experience of any AFV Club product so can’t compare them.