Anyone else have a parts problem with Black Dog resin?

I have contacted BD but have not received any response. I purchased one of their T-54 to Israeli Tiran 4 conversion sets in 1/72 but received a T-55 turret instead of the T-54 pictured on the box and in the instructions. The seller has a no-return policy and I’m not getting any response from BD. Any ideas on what to do? Does anyone need a 1/72 resin T-55 turret? Dave

2 Likes

Who did you buy it from?
Ken

2 Likes

Has anyone NOT been disappointed by Black Dog? The new AEF Designs.

8 Likes

:joy: :laughing: :rofl:
Ken

2 Likes

That’s the quote of the week!

Well said and absolutely true.

One can buy no name knock off’s of Black Dog’s garbage that have superior casting quality and far fewer air bubbles. The parts are still nasty and poorly done but better than BD original.

Pretty sad when the pirates made the product better than the OEM.

5 Likes

I wasn’t aware there was such animosity against BD. They have so many offerings too. The quality on this one is top notch, but it’s the wrong turret for conversion to a Tiran 4. I already have the base T-54 model. I just thought maybe somebody had an in with BD and could get them to respond.

TY!

1 Like

As I’ve stated before, I have a few of their figure sets and they are very nice. I did notice on a few of the figure sets the molding of the lower legs and boots was sloppy and did require some clean up but that’s it. I have a set of French WW1 infantry also that had the same problem but other wise that was it. I haven’t purchased anything else from them.

2 Likes

At least your turret looks whole, mine there was a section missing from underneath the gun mantle to the middle of the turret, totally unusable and not much else of use in the set either!

2 Likes

The turret is just a copy of the trumpeter turret with the additional equipment but not modifications, the turret you have is not even for the Tiran, looks to be more for their T 55 enigma conversion, you could either buy a T 54 from trumpeter (with all its faults) or buy the excellent Ammo T 54 and use what parts you have on that, you would still have to scratch the turret basket, that is missing from the BD turret,
For reference the enigma turret
IMG_9747

2 Likes

Scott’s Modelworks in CA. I’ve always had excellent service and products from him. I never supposed I’d get the wrong part in a set I ordered.

1 Like

Thank you so much, Simon! You are the man! YES, I believe that is the turret I received in my conversion set for a Tiran 4. I missed that on their website. At least now I know it’s not a prototype or alien spawn! :thinking: BD just put the wrong part in my set.
I did buy an AMMO Mig T-54b and LOVE it! What quality in a tiny scale! I’ve got the first few steps completed. That’s going to be my “base” for the Tiran 4 even though the BD set recommends a Trumpeter. You know, now that you mention it, the BD turret is a scootch smaller in scale than the AMMO-Mig turret. I was worried at first, but the BD actually fits perfectly inside the AMMO-Mig turret base so that was going to be my riser. I was debating if I should add a little putty to extend the turret width wise since it is a cast one anyhow. What you’re saying is, except for the rear stowage box, I could just modify the AMMO-Mig turret? M-m-m-m-m, might work if my skills are up to it. Aging and eyes enter the equation unfortunately.

1 Like

The BD turret is based on the Trumpeter turret which is undersized anyway, the Ammo turret is the correct shape and size. There are also a couple of antennas mounts that I can’t remember if they were part of the turret casting or separate parts, the other problem is that the Ammo turret is a T 54B with the gunners night sight, most Tiran 4 seem to be based on T 54A with the simple periscope in place of the night sight.

2 Likes

Thank you, Simon. I’ve been looking at online original pics of Tirans. There seems to be many variants within standard variants. I even see early ones with the 100mm barrel with no stowage on the turret at all, on the right or on the rear. I haven’t yet found a definitive look at tops of turrets though, but I bet many could be different too. I WANT to make a correct one, no doubt. I’ll keep researching!!! Maybe I should just use the AMMO-Mig turret after all. Then there’s the hatches!!! Yikes.

2 Likes

I wanted to report that Petr from Blackdog did get back to me and sent me a correct Tiran turret!!! Thank you!!!

3 Likes