Convoy!

Group Build Title: Convoy!

Group Build Leader(s): @barkingdigger

Group Build Description: This campaign is aimed at anything truck-like, essentially anything bigger than a Jeep but smaller than a Liberty Ship that moves cargo (and other stuff) from A to B with wheels. We’re talking Beeps, Deuces, Blitzes, Kenworths, Macs, Volvos, and any other rig that was originally designed on a chassis to haul stuff, even if your variant left the factory kitted out for something more specialized. Fire truck? Great! Recovery truck? Sure! DUKW in WW2 glory? Why not? Or a DUKW-tours modern conversion? Super! And if you’re into civvie trucks that’s great - I have a soft spot for the old AMT 1:25 rigs. And how about the classic Aussie outback Road Train? If you’d rather convert a tanker to the Mad Max 2 rolling pillbox that’d be fine too! My aim is to be as inclusive as possible, so we can all have fun building what we enjoy. Let’s say any scale, any country, any type, military or civilian or both!

And since the more ambitious builds often stall and take time, I’m open to existing part-builds (say not much more than 50-60% complete?) that get finished up for our deadline. (My own builds can stall for months or years…) You’ll need to post a “start” pic, and some “in-progress” pics along the way - preferably with stories and comments about the build.

Since I’m a slow builder I’m thinking a year, starting 1 March 2023.
2023-03-01T00:00:00Z2024-03-01T00:00:00Z

Event Details: (Remember to click “Going” if you want to join the build!)

Completion Award: Anyone with “finished” pics by the deadline will get a badge that has yet to be designed.

A Note about Awards: The following text is a reminder that in order for people participating and finishing their projects to receive a badge on their forum profile, they will need to provide their account username to the group build leader by the completion date of the build. The leader will then provide this list to the site admin who will bulk award the badges to those users who have finished the group build. If you don’t provide your username or finish the project on the timetable the leader has setup you will not be able to receive an award.

7 Likes

Post apocalyptic gun truck ? … I could be swayed Tom

2 Likes

Sounds good! But now I have to figure out how to add the “going” buttons…

Have way to many to pick right now (leaning towards one with your shapeway parts) but one of them needs to be built for this campaign.

Got a number of trucks from 1/72 to 1/24. Also, I already have about 12 builds scheduled for 2023 (I’m on my tenth for 2022). Might even be a great excuse to finally finish that Aoshima Fuel truck I started in 2014. :wave:

1 Like

I’m in. I have the Thunder Models Scammell Pioneer artillery mover. It has been staring at me for a long while…

1 Like

You had me at the word “Convoy!” Might just kick the tires (tyres) on a 1/72 ‘Roden (ROD 738) VOMAG 8LR LKW WWII German Heavy Truck.’

That’s a big fat maybe.

—mike

I too have a hard choice - far too many kits in the stash! In the part-bake pile I have CCKW conversions for a radio truck, bolster truck, Chevy tractor & trailer, and a compressor truck. Then there’s plans for a Class 335 fire truck, and about a dozen other unstarted truck kits. This may have to become a recurring campaign!

4 Likes

I support and second this idea.

4 Likes

I was toying with the idea of the post apocalyptic gun truck and using the Italeri HEMTT gun truck as the base… I’m not worried about engine details as that will mostly be hidden away, but I’m thinking it would definitely need AM wheels … Is it a good base to work from ?

2 Likes
4 Likes

Since your only limit is your imagination I can’t see a problem with the HEMTT as a base! Not sure what AM there is out there that will fit…

I checked scale mates, and there are several resin wheel sets, and I think everything else will be scratched. I also have a set of Cr2 TES bar armour I am going to incorporate into it…

2 Likes

I have several trucks in my stash, mainly military but also the Tempo A 400 and E 400 from Miniart, which I would like to tackle in 2023. So yes, I’m in! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

If you add wheel covers which would not be outside a realm of possibility (depending on your envisioned world) then stock wheels could be good enough.

1 Like

And it would save me an extra 30 quid … I knew there was a reason we keep you around Bootie :grin::grin::+1::+1:

Might need to get some of those MENG bolt heads I’ve seen others use …

1 Like

I have a few of those too. Look forward to seeing how you build them here or in your thread. :+1:

Don’t worry, I will trick you into getting a 60 quid item later. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

You probably will as well… I’m so easily …ohhh something shiny …:grin:

1 Like

It just never gets old! :articulated_lorry: :ambulance: :truck: :fire_engine: :pickup_truck::boom::blue_car:
Sieht aus, als hätten wir einen Konvoi!
Das VOMAG 8LR LKW WWII Deutscher Schwerer LKW.

—mike

1 Like