Are you a builder or a painter?

I think I’m bisexual!.. :roll_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I can’t make up my mind, I really like to build but at the same time I love weathering and paiting details, I like working with the brush, using AB instead is more a necessity I don’t have the pleasure give me using brush and play with the effects

5 Likes

I flip flop back and forth. I started out liking to build more. As I matured I became more interested in my research and painting. After I quit for a while and started again I am back to liking building more. There is sort of a phobia about screwing up the paint on a well built kit and not ending up with what my vision was. However as someone mentioned before, my collecting abilities have out striped my building or painting skills. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I started of being a builder, then staretd to get more enjoyment as a painter/ airbrusher… and now I think my main skill has become patience.

I truly enjoy having the ability to put a model aside to let the glue set, or letting the paint dry for long enough before applying a second coat, or before masking.

That patience, without doubt, is the most invisible, most important tool/skill that I have. It used to be that seams were not decently filled because I simply did not have the patience to put some extra putty on… Modelling has become more about the whole process and the relaxation it brings, and less about gettign a new thing in the display cabinet asap.

And why do I build a model: as expression of an nterest in that particular plane, its history, technology, special design features … I can still remember for each model I have on the shelve what brought me to building it. That also explains why I don’t need a stash (or a very very large one :slight_smile: ) as my building interest depends on what I read about military aviation, and there is no way to predict to which “next project” that will lead, so stash would never be used.

1 Like

I get more enjoyment out of Scratch building than building a kit , I also enjoy airbrushing, pre and post shading and all that.

I fully agree with Robin: I select a kit because the prototype interests me, and I try to copy that as far as possible. You can call me a nit picker (although I prefer “superdetailer”) when I try to render model parts moving that move in 1:1 scale, like gun breeches or an M88’s support spade plus running gear, to install sliding windows of near scale thickness on an M548 and the like. For me, the fun lies in thinking up ways to construct tiny working parts that allow me to show the model in different positions. That regularly results in a building time of more than 100 hours, after which I’m plain fed up with the model, and the very thought of having to paint it scares me off, especially when I realize the danger of freezing up movable parts with too much paint. Which, of course, is the totally wrong attitude towards coloring a model, and somehow, it transfers to paints and brushes, and they fight back. So, Olive Drab, Tire Black plus some tiny dabs of Red, Silver, and Rust - finish.
In short: I love excess building (aka AMS), and I’d LOVE to outsource painting!

The only reason I can keep on modeling is that I build exclusively for my own pleasure and don’t care what others say about the quality of my output. I’ve had sufficient competition in my professional life not to enter into model competitions and am fully content with my models even when they don’t attract spectators at exhibitions (figures mean more painting, so none around my models, and more than a plain base with some sand isn’t my thing). Other people’s exquisitely thought out and painted dioramas can drive tears into my eyes, but I don’t want to go and do likewise.

Peter

2 Likes

Very much a builder. A good chunk of my stash is built models sitting in their boxes waiting for me to build up the courage to ruin them with paint and decals.

2 Likes

@PzAufkl, Peter I hear what your saying. I’m sure you models are amazing in detail. Would love to see pictures :camera:. Do you have a link or thread?

A good friend of mine loves to build like that. Exact rivet count, spacing and no extras! Exact correct type of wing nuts etc. His models are something to behold to see unpainted. When its time to paint he just moves to the next project. We used to joke he should build them and subcontract the painting.

Thanks for the reply. The way you describe your building and painting reminds me of how models were displayed at museums when I was a child. There would be seemingly endless row of display cases with model tanks with very few markings all painted the same color(usually OD). They were meant to be generic representations of a particular tank not a specific vehicle. Years later when I started building armor I built more or less the same way. I would build a Sherman, or a PzIV and paint and decal it to represent a type. Very few markings beyond national insignia and as you say boring paint finishes. Eventually I got bored of having all my builds looking somewhat alike and decided to paint and finish my builds more individually. There is something to be said for the way you prefer to build and finish, you probably finish many more builds than the average modeler and with the large number of kits now available that’s a good thing.

Case in point: I have Azimuts’ AML 90 kit, and it’s a finished build. No paint yet. The kit was so lacking in detail, I kept adding and adding aftermarket, as well as my own gizmology, as more information about the AML found it’s way to the internet. I found that I needed to add this, or that, detail to the kit. Over 100 additional detail later, I think I’m ready for paint! :crazy_face:

Can I ever build OOB? Not anymore, I think. It difficult to see a kit that you know will always need some sort of correction.

Other than that, my AML 90 sits, and waits it’s turn behind other shelf queens waiting to be completed/redone/added detail/paint. Most of those queens have entered the paint stage, unless other quirky detail photos emerge, that reveal missing details that need to be added, if possible.

Once in the paint stage, almost as much planning on my part for paint/weathering takes place in order to complete the build, and takes about a 1/4 of the time spent on the build.

1 Like

I have the bad habit jumping back and forth between multiple projects, sometimes multiple times. This leads , of course, to quite a few “in process” builds that will eventually all get done. That’s why the group build was completed (just barely) on time, I had committed to being a part of it and it had a hard deadline.

Same here. It took a campaign for me to be “pressured” in completing something, in order to justify why it took me 5 years to complete just 1 build. LOL. Now that I see that campaign motivations work for me, I’m currently involved with 2 other campaign. All of us can use that little ‘push’!

1 Like

I’ve considered trying a campaign but don’t know if that would do it, I think getting the group build done was a combination of building something outside my usual area of interest and sitting down with those guys every month wanting to show some progress on my kit.

Neither…I suck at both!! :woozy_face:
:smiley:

5 Likes

I am definitely a builder. I have way to many shelf queens waiting for some stage of paint to even count. I love the building aspect. Adding details, AM or scratch, and just watching the project come together. Painting on the other hand, I see as a chore that has to be done, so it usually doesn’t!

LOL! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: You stole the words right away from me Mr. Biggles! I’m too OCD to build anything straight OOB but I get bored with the tedious effort it takes to build with the precision I want to achieve. The bottom line though is that I just really admire a well built miniature of anything. I’d almost have to say I enjoy the research more than anything. I guess I’m conflicted, I enjoy the build if it goes smoothly and even though my painting skills are lacking I appreciate what I’ve accomplished . . usually.

Cajun

1 Like

I’m definitely in the builder camp. I find a vehicle that captures my attention and imagine the completed model on my shelf. Interiors, PE and such make the build fun and I do build specific vehicles to get details right.
I don’t enjoy painting and weathering nearly as much. It’s more of a hurdle to overcome to reach the finish line than a process I look forward to. I can and do paint well enough to win in competitions, but I don’t enjoy the process as much as scratch building a turret or hull interior.

With that being said, I’ve always found airbrushes fascinating, so I tend to collect them. I know, crazy huh…

Paul H

2 Likes

@PRH001, Paul that’s hardcore. I admire anyone with the skill to scratch and turret or scratch an interior. Kudos!. AA+

I scratched an interior once - never again.

I have building phases and painting phases for armour two to six on the go at the same time, I also like helicopters but find it annoying doing both at the same time for it,

I’m definitely a member of “team builder.” There is nothing I enjoy more than looking at a raw, unpainted model. The white scratch built styrene parts, the gold color PE, the copper wire grab handles and tow cables, the grey and or cream colored resin… I’ve even opted for one manufacture over another just because of how the aftermarket would stand out on green plastic verse tan plastic.

Even though I’ve got an airbrush in the garage, I haven’t used it in over 10 years. With limited time, it’s always been quicker to grab a rattle can and spray away. As @Uncle-Heavy mentioned above, I also prefer solid color camo. Probably why I build mostly Gulf War/OIF Armor, Vietnam era and IDF subjects.

If and when I do push myself to actually get some paint on something, I do really enjoy adding the decals (not that I always do that correctly, especially when it means adding a gloss/flat coats). The decals always seem to bring things to life.

2 Likes

I’m definetely a builder.

I can spend months and months researching and planning the build of a subject of interest, and up to an year to build it.
And more often than not I don’t get bored- while building.

I enjoy painting too, but to a far lesser degree than building.

And I’m definetely not a weatherer.
I would outsource weathering my builds- if only I could.

:beer:

2 Likes