Australian M1A1 Meng build

A tip for anyone contemplating this Meng kit. My barrel was rubbish. Not sure if it’s just my kit or all the kits.
I jumped ahead just for the hell of it and built the barrel.
Well it simply didn’t fit together. Warped and twisted and some flash. I ended up gluing just one end. When that was dry I worked my way a long the barrel gluing and clamping. Then out with the putty. There are fine details on the barrel which make filling and sanding a nightmare. I guess I’ve spent a couple of hours just on filling and sanding.

Do yourself a favour and buy a metal barrel.

Back at the work bench!! :smile: A question for the experts!!

I’m procrastinating over the side skirts. In many many images the rear panel is missing. (Drive sprocket). Is it a case of being a PITA so everyone leave them off or is there another reason for them being missing?
The reason I ask is it will help me plan a diorama.

I’ve chickened out on the cammo paint so here’s what I’m after.

IIRC, leaving them off originally prevented mud from building up between the hull, drive sprocket and the skirt, causing the tank to throw tracks.

More knowledgeable answer :wink: :

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-many-tanks-including-the-M1-Abrams-have-its-rear-sprocket-wheels-exposed-while-others-are-shielded-with-side-skirt

H.P.

1 Like

Like Frenchy said. It’s a super thin piece of metal unlike all the other panels. So it can be either manual removed, ripped off or left in place.

Once they adopted the curved, cut-out rear panel it eliminated most of the problem, but working with it (and any other side skirt for that matter) can still be a royal PITA.
Ken

Nooooooooo! AUSCAM looks so good! Give it a go Bruce. I have faith in your abilities!

Yes do the AUSCAM. What have you got to lose? Practice on dons old kits you may have laying around.

1 Like

Guys this is bullying and intimidation. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

OK. Here;s the deal. I know it’s hard to find the true colours of AUSCAM. But give me ‘as close as reasonable’ in Mig Ammo or AK acrylics and I’ll have a crack at the AUSCAMO. Besindes it will be covered in Australian bull dust so near enough should be ok.

Here you go!

Thanks Canmedic. A good excuse to try AK acrylics. And it’s in stock!!

Remember if I stuff up it’s everyone’s fault cept for mine!! :woozy_face:

1 Like

Well then don’t stuff it up! And don’t hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning.
Have positive thoughts! Think it will be a mother beautiful camo job and it will be!
Ken

2 Likes

Hey you sound like my favourite tanker. Oddball from Kelly’s Heros.
Next question is decals!

1 Like

Echelon made two sets of decals, one for each camo and sand.

Fox Models

Aussie decals

You have to figure out where to get them. :man_shrugging:

Whatever you say, babe.
Ken

I prefer BNA. But i haven t yet had a good look.

Maybe this for the roo?

1 Like

Thanks Tank_1812. The APC is interesting but it’s a per order.

I’m putting in an order late today or tomorrow. I’ve missed today’s dispatch.

1 Like

An option:

1 Like

Thanks petbat. I’m waiting back for an availability answer.

Had a partial win. The tracks are fiddly. Aren’t they all? The jig is too shallow. But I’ve found building in blocks of 5 then assembling the blocks into lengths works for me. They clip together. But me being me added a very small drop of glue under each pad.

bruce

2 Likes

Adding glue was a wise decision. I have built several Meng kits with similar or identical “snap” together tracks. While nice and relatively easy to assemble they do have a tendency to pop apart.