AVGP Grizzly Canadian Armed Forces | Armorama™

described by my modelling friend Ying Louie, "Many months of research this project of passion created deep scratch build changes. Sculpted uniform changes. A tribute this my vehicle I served aboard serving in the Canadian Forces in 1986".

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/avgp-grizzly-canadian-armed-forces
4 Likes

Wow that is excellent! Beautiful work all around.

1 Like

Would love to hear about the scratch building and/ or modifications that were made to the vehicle and figures.
This is a subject we almost never see and it’s most welcome!

1 Like

This is splendid work. What regiment of the Canadian Forces does the vehicle represent?

1 Like

Yeah I’d like more information about this project. I’m also surprised there are so few responses to this post with such an outstanding model…???

1 Like

At the time this was a reserve regiment, or similar to a national guard unit. The identification is very small very hard to see. It is a vehicle from the 48th Highlanders of Canada. In the mid 1986 the unit was tasked as mechanized infantry. Vehicles used for this task is on display here as the AVGP Grizzly. 6x6 wheel originally from Swiss manufacturer.

Your very kind this model was a real research project at the time. Scant reference was available. I had much searching for information. My friend who l made during this project was Jason Bobrowich who really stepped in to help me create this model.
The turret was re done backwards because the angles were more correct. The hardest part was the upper AA gunsight did not exist and l had to create it from scratch. Today Trackjam models has a resin turret on the way with gun sight. The kit gun barrels were changed with brass ones from RB barrel.
The upper hull had some refits as well. The engine deck had some re sizing and vents lowered. The rear the upper hull hatches were too long. I cut those off and rebuilt them smaller in length. Reason l found is the new space was for tools under the turret. Being scale was an issue I found 1/48 photo etch tool clamps more scale for the tools that l found in my pars box. The original kit does not supply these missing tools. On the sides l am not sure from my past but l feel l moved the rear sights for the crew as well. The back water jerries are from AFV Club because they are better, as with rebuilding the front headlight mounts with AFV Club lights from the Striker accessories. The antenna mounts were from ET model and the sagged wheels were just perfect.
The figures are Firestorm models Australian soldiers l spent a weekend scraping off the details and sculpting the uniforms and details. Funny when l posted them unpainted l had a score of critics! After l painted them l had tons of curious excited model guys.
Trackjam models have asked me to sculpt some new figures but l have to stop being lazy first.

Hope this helps
Best regards Ying Louie

I never get tired of looking at Ying’s excellent diorama!

1 Like

Absolutely. Fantastic work

1 Like

This model would get more responses if it was in the AFV area I think.

1 Like