Back to basics with airbrushing

A good suggestion.

Thank you for the information, I have bookmarked the page.

Iā€™m currently not able to airbrush that much, there are so many other things that I have to finish first.
It is just life getting in the way of this great hobby again. And I just donā€™t seem to have always enough time to do what I had planned for these things to do.

Iā€™ll also be honest, that Iā€™m not able to travel with public transit.

But I appreciate your help, youā€™re welcome. :innocent:

Ultimately watching video or videos only allows learning part of the basics. Thereā€™s a very high percentage of learning with an airbrush that comes from actually doing the airbrushing.

@modelbouwnederland Iā€™d load the color cup with water and practice spraying that on a towel or paper towel. You can develop a feel for the Trigger and operation of a double action airbrush.

Mark a 4 inch square on a paper towel or napkin and practice airbrush strokes on the air off the air while rocking back and forth on the trigger.

Those sorts of exercises will help develop familiarity with some of the basics before loading the airbrush with paint etc.

Armor_Buff Iā€™ve tried practicing with water. All works fine. But water is water. When you put the paint in the cup is it too thin? Too thick? Pressure right? If you are like me it can be many weeks between spraying sessions. The last lessons learned often avoid the brain cells next time around.

Case in point. I use Mid Ammo paints. I use their primer. All works fine. But I have some of their Brown Oxide primer. It makes a great base for chipping. But no matter what I try that darn primer never works the same consistently. Dries way too fast. Clogs the gun. You name it Iā€™ve tried it. Thinning. Pressures etc.

IMHO the key is learning to recognize the problem and know what to do to fix it. Something I havenā€™t done yet!!

Iā€™ve just started a Miniart D7 bulldozer. I want the Brown Oxide primer and then yellow over the top. Iā€™m dreading that spray session/s.

bruce

@BGT Bruce, youā€™re right water is water and itā€™s not the same as spraying paint. However, that sort of practice can help with some items etc.

I hope all goes well Miniart D7 bulldozer and hopefully someone up to speed with Mig Ammo primer will offer support.

Iā€™ve not used Mig Ammo paint or primer and canā€™t give first hand insights into their products. I can normally get various hobby paints to spray pretty well with my Paasche H or VL. Being old school lacquers & enamels like Floquil are my long time favorites.

Correct thinner, adjust thinning & pressure and occasionally needle size etc goes a long way after covering the basics like: 1) Clean airbrush & color cup 2) Inspect needle & nozzle for damage 3) Moisture trap(s) 4) Stirred, Shaken, throughly mixed paint/primer 5) strain paint if suspect

What about replacing Mig Ammo brown primer if itā€™s too much hassle to get it to play nice and use something else like Mr Surfacer 1500 primer coat?

I know itā€™s very frustrating, trying to learn to airbrush solo by yourself. I remember going through it in the mid 1970ā€™s with no one to call and no internet. Plus no compressor, just Propel can propellant.

Thanks Armor_Buff. I was using air brushes wayyy back in the late 1980ā€™s. Hated it then, scared of it now. Iā€™m new to this 1/35 armor stuff and stuffing up the paint on a $100 kit annoys me!

My other Mig Ammo primers work fine. Itā€™s just something about the Brown Oxide. Letā€™s just say itā€™s an old bottle and therefore thereā€™s something wrong with it and itā€™s not me. :thinking:

The funny thing is Iā€™ve used artist acrylics in a tube. Cheap stuff. And they work fine for me. A bit of flow medium and a great coat. But they arenā€™t much good as a primer.

A bit, lot, more practice and I may get it.

bruce

1 Like

@BGT Bruce, youā€™ll definitely get it :slight_smile:

That does sound like itā€™s that bottle of primer.

Look forward to seeing the dozer.

Itā€™s always a bit nerve wracking to me making that first airbrush pass on a high dollar kit or an old inexpensive kit with a lot of time invested in it.

Armor_Buff I dug out an old 1/16 kit I built 30+ years ago. It was to be my spraying test bed. I stripped it and cleaned it all up. I was going to use for all my practice. I rebuilt it. The sad thing is I fell in love with the result and now I donā€™t dare use it again.

Several different techniques. So much for my test bed?

bruce

2 Likes

modelbouwnederland

My thought is you should take that 3 to 4 hour class on beginning airbrushing.
Here is why I say that. You are some what timid and unsure of yourself and the use of the airbrush at the moment. You need some practical knowledge that will give you some confidence in what you are doing and a working understanding of an airbrush and how to get the best out of it. Sign up for the class. Go and get a cheap Monogram or some other model kit and build it. Take the model kit, some paint and thinners, and the airbrush with you to class. Now you will have something useful to paint so you can gain the most from the experience. The instructor can see what you are wanting to paint and can be more specific in your case. Once you have some confidence and understanding, anything will be possible :thinking: :beer:

2 Likes

Letā€™s give an update on the situation.
Currently Iā€™m not doing that much and Iā€™m not feeling 100% healthy.
Got some bad nights sleep in a row.
And Iā€™m going to Bullet Journal.
Currently scale modeling isnt one of my possibilities and thats why Iā€™m not active on forums anymore.

I am sorry to hear that. What is Bullet Journal ?

You can search for it on internet. Iā€™m still reading the book that I have bought for it to get started. But, I would say it is some kind of device to order your and my life. I just canā€™t describe it very accurately as Iā€™m still reading and working on it. So sorry I canā€™t be more clear.

Interesting. Good luck with the journal, hereā€™s hoping it allows you to get more out of your time to allow more time for modeling.

Sounds like a cross between a Journal and https://www.daytimer.com/

Hummā€¦ I was thinking more along the lines of it was something to jot down your sighting data from the range. What was I thinking.

I hope so as well. And, that I sleep better consistently. And that I stay healthy for longer to do actually more things with the time I got. Thanks for your reply.