Bandai 1/16 Rolls Royce Balloon Car

So I won this on ebay (been wanting it for ages) was a bit worried it might be a glue bomb as it was already started (wasn’t packaged very well as lots of bit broken off) luckily nothing that can’t be fixed, it’s (so far anyway) quite easy to dismantle. I’m looking forward to this.
The person who built it didn’t paint anything just glued it together so no worries about incompatible paints, although it’s not a glue bomb there’s still a fare amount of glue to get rid o[

img]https://i.ibb.co/gg3gkFg/PSX-20210603-200254.jpg[/img]

4 Likes

Nice project, like a barn-find…come to think maybe it could be heavily distressed to look just like one, which might help cover any glue you can’t erase. And add barn to taste? :thinking: :tumbler_glass:

Ken,
Congrats on winning the bidding on the Rolls. Looking forward to following your build of a true classic.

joel

Hi all well the Rolls needs far more work than first thought (not strictly authentic but I’ve decided the bolts and nuts were gold plated just to add a bit of interest) there is a major problem that the brackets which hold the fuel tank are broken off and the parts are not in the box (in fact on closer inspection there are lots of broken parts and missing bits but hopefully nothing I can’t make.

3 Likes

Ken,
Sounds like the kit has way more surprises for you then you 1st thought it had. How hard are the gas tank brackets going to be to fabricate?

The bodywork and the engine cover look pretty good once cleaned up. I can’t tell if you already repainted them or that’s the color that they were molded in that you cleaned and polished up.
joel

More progress on the Rolls, don’t show to well in the pics but I love the seats best leather effect I’ve managed so far.

3 Likes

That is a beautiful lustre on the seats Ken, nice work! How did you achieve that?

Cheers, D

Ken,
your technique for leather is top notch for sure. Like D asked, I’d love to also know how you achieve that sheen.

joel

It was pretty easy actually.
I scrubbed a very patchy coat of sand colour on first then lightly built up coats of satin black till you could only just see the sand colour.

another top build, Ken :slightly_smiling_face:

Ken,
I’m confused as to what scrubbed means. Is it dry brushing?

joel

I used a stiff brush and literally used it to scrub the paint on so it was a very patchy finish

Hey neat project. In my display case are a number of 1/16 builds. Bandai and others. It was a popular scale back about 40+ years ago. Mine have slowly fallen to bits because of the poor glue in those days. So a week or so ago I pulled out the 1931 Ford pickup I had. Stripped it down. Repaint and some chipping.

Like you there were missing parts. (A number of house moves to many!). So I pondered a complete rebuild and super detail job or a quick restoration. A choose the middle ground. Paint and glue what parts I have left and see where it takes me.

My big hiccup so far, beside missing parts, is the plastic. I’m using Mr Cements glue and it’s take a fair amount to soften up and weld the plastic.

bruce

1 Like

Thats a nice looking project, I could think of loads of ways to go with that.

Everyone keeps asking me how I did the seats heres how, first sand coloured background

Then light coats of satin black till you can just see the sand under it.

Then polish the satin till the sand shows through.

3 Likes

Oh that is fantastic

Ken,
Your technique really gives you a realistic finish. Thanks for sharing.
joel

There is so much missing in this kit it may end up being bin fodder, lots missing from engine, lots missing broken or glued in the wrong orientation.

The silver lady is missing to be honest I wonder if it’s worth the effort or if I have the skills.

It definitely wasn’t a bargain.

One of the chrome strips is missing from the bottom of the bonnet

1 Like

Ken,
the Metallics used on the engine really makes the engine look the part. Well done my friend.

As for the chrome strips, they look like real chrome as there’s that reflection off of them to fool one’s eye. Should be easy enough to reproduce that one missing strip with your skills.

joel

After some research most of the stuff I’ve painted steel should be brass. There is so much missing from thisvengine and kit it may well get binned