Best paint for a newbie

Thanks man! Nice looking carrier! I think I’m going to go this route. Vallejo have always brushed really well for me.

Vallejo are the paints I prefer. I generally use their spray cans, and brush paint when ever necessary. Valleio Model Color series are their products I like best for brush painting. I find them easy to work with. I just did a Korean War Tamiya Easy Eight, and used Russian Green in a spray can, reinforced where necessary with the same color brushed on from the Model Color Series. I also used a few of their Panzer Aces colors here and there where appropriate. The late WWII and Korean War Sherman’s were painted a darker shade of Olive Drab (thus the Russian Green. Had I been doing an early version of the Sherman, I would have chosen Vallejo’s Olive Drab in a spray, followed up by the same color in a bottle where required. The internals of road wheels are my nemesis.

Trouble is with the Pandemic and related shipping issues, Vallejo paints are getting harder and harder to find. It’s a temporary situation, but still one that is raining on all Vallejo users parade at present.

Not in my experience. I’ve never used Mission Models additive and all decals applied went on perfectly fine with no paint peel. Although I will qualify that with the fact that I also did a clear gloss coat before applying any decals.

Strange, 2 clubs members had issues without the additive even with a barrier added, don’t recall the type. The paint would lift off with decal water. With the additive, it was bullet proof.

Well, it hasn’t happened for me yet. And hopefully it never will.

1 Like

I had Microsol and Set cause some discolouration with Vallejo’s gloss varnish when I decaled an all black Whitley bomber. Luckily it disappeared when it dried out and was unnoticeable after a coat of matt clear. Had me worried for quite a while as it went white all around the decals!
I think the black base coat made it all the more noticeable, so it might have happened before on other projects.

I’ve since been using Humbrol’s rattle can gloss and matt with no issues.