Best Tank that Never Was - Part 3!

Here’s my inspiration.
IMG_4293 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
Credit to Fred Crismon’s book “US Military Tracked Vehicles”. It’s full of pics like this of one-offs and oddballs. Link to the build so far is this: A one-off M41
Is this the right thread so start progress posts? If so, here I go.
I have taken some liberties with the M41 since at the time I started this I had no idea it was actually done more than once. I’m debating pulling another M41 out of the stash and using it, but I really, really lilke what I’ve got so far. I’ll leave it up to the powers that be.
So to press on: after looking at what I had for the turret and the pics posted by the ever-gracious Armorama crowd, I did some more work, getting the turret side walls built up a bit and adding the cut-out for the main sight. Progress as of tonight:
IMG_4287 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_4288 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
And old mantlet (with cutout) and new:
IMG_4291 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
I got a bit smart and used the piece of the nose I removed to build the mantlet from, smartest thing I’ve done so on this build so far. The turret walls are now two layers of .040" card stock, as is the roof. There’s a lot of bracing inside, should be strong enough to withstand cutting the holes for the hatches and stuff.

8 Likes