Black Ops, northern Italy -43

Thanks Tim! Yes the BW pictures works fine, especially because it’s a big scene. /Erik

Final pictures of my armored knight vignette:

6 Likes

Really like this one Erik… Something a bit unusual but done very very well :+1:

1 Like

Yep, fantstic! Those little red spots on the snow covered round… very good…

1 Like

And good luck at the show :+1:

1 Like

Hi,
Yesterday I took the diorama outside my house at 18.30 o’clock, it was cloudy weather. I put a black background behind and took these pictures.
We call this the final pictures.
Maybe some day I take new ones with white background. Right now I am more interested in continuing building new projects:)
Cheers

8 Likes

Sorry guys, the AIM show in Gothenburg was a disaster for me. I brought 8 vignette/diorama, I did’t got any prices at all.
Not even for the Fritz diorama that was rewarded a silver at the C4 show last year. It’s crazy how different the judges work.
Here you see line up:

I hoped that Black Ops would be seen as something above standard. But not, the judge told me it was missing a story. I can say yes, I would have put a tank in the middle etc. It would have been better. Well, I was happy while building it and that’s the most important part.
Anyway here is pictures of the diorama that won the D2 class. (Diorama smaller scale than 1/35.)
Cheers

2 Likes

Erik I am gutted for you. And in my own opinion, I think the judges were full of crap. I cannot believe that won. It’s a tank going down a hill…wow, never seen that before… Oh wait a minute, I have. A hundred times. Boring.

Your dios/vignettes all have thought, intricate detail, a zillion bits of scratch building and they all have meaning and story.

The black Ops Dio does not need a tank in any shape or form, the whole seen tells a story… Obviously the blinkered judge thinks every combat action in WW2 had a tank involved. The moron.

Do not be disheartened… They should you should of got awards for those. Simple as that.

2 Likes

And to make matters even more of a joke. The Dio maker didn’t even get the unit name right. It should be Hussars and not horses !! Glad the judge knows his unit terminology !!

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind words. I was stunned that the story of the winning dio was so much better than mine, specially when you add the technical level with scratched building and trees etc.
Anyway in a few days I hope to find new motivation and get in to ”revenge mode”.
Thanks for your support John! /Erik

2 Likes

No problem at all. It all sounds a bit farcical to be honest.

No matter which way you look at it, its a tank (averagely finished) going down hill with a barrel ground strike and its on a very average dio base with very basic and not very exciting ground and very very simplistic foliage/ ground effects

2 Likes

Commiserations Eric, the winner looks like an elephant having a drink. No track marks on the ground yet it wins a prize? :thinking:

3 Likes

Thanks man! The two guys in the jury’s were so fixated that the build must have some sort of storytelling that quality work was ignored in my opinion.
This 1/72 build got a silver because the story. Look at the right side track on the universal carrier, it is up in the air and no proper track marks in the ground.
I don’t want to miss credit someone’s work, it’s the jury’s that maybe had a bad day at work.

They had an appalling day at work

1 Like

Eric, I do agree that quality wise your dio’s should have won when comparing them with these… nevertheless, I do like the idea’s of these 2 dio’s…

And could you give me the adress of the next show with this jury, I might start to rethink about entering, because if these can win… :grinning:

3 Likes

You have taken part in de wrong category, to good for a category is difficult to judge.
Next time starting in the out of competition category to get the appreciation you disserved
It’s always sh*t, bud judges are also human with there own minds.

Keep on the way you are doing, it’s some extraordinarily level you have reached.

2 Likes

@Jan_Degryse
@Johnnych01
@bwilt
@Dioramartin
Thanks guys!
To take part in a competition is a good thing. You learn a lot, hopefully you got inspired by builders that are a level or two above your self.
That is the fun for me.
Bad time when you got in my situation like in this show. I can’t be inspired of those who “should be” better than me.
I know it’s tricky to judge, if I was a judge, someone would for sure get disappointed as well. We are all humans.
It feels good to talk a little about it in this forum and get understanding from you guys.
I feel a lot better today thanks to you.
From now on I will focus of having fun and build dioramas.
Cheers

1 Like

Well, I feel for you, as your work, particularly at 1/72 can be regarded as works of art. The winning dio, is good not realistic (no tanker will let his gun barrel dip into the water like that) and in no way comes close to what you have made, and presented here.

1 Like

Thanks Gil!

Hello Erik !
I just can’t understand how the diorama with the cow could get silver.
I don’t understand how it can differ in judging from competition to competition. How were the other major builders assessed.

1 Like