BLOG Tora Tora Tora, A6M2 Zero Type 21

Funny how you can inspect your work for some time and think it’s okay but soon as you take a pic of it all the flaws just pop out. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Cajun :crocodile:

Hi all

Sorry - no progress to post yet. There’s one more day of work and then I’ll have a few days off for Christmas! :beer:

Talking of which, now’s a good time to wish everyone a happy and, above all, safe and healthy Christmas and New Year. I hope you have a great time, however you celebrate the holiday. :smiley:

It’ll be a mix of music and modelling for me, so I hope to make some quality time for both - and I hope to have something to show for the time I’ve spent on the Zero soon! LOL!

Take care and stay safe.

All the best

Rowan :beer:

3 Likes

Well Happy Xmas to you all.
IMG_1772
Andy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well progress has been a little slow over the last couple of weeks due to work, but I have managed to fiddle about with a few bits here and there.
First up is the engine. A bit of detail but as you are only going to see the face of it behind the prop, its not too bad.

The cowling is an interesting build. Eduard have supplied a jig/plug thing to build the various cowling panels around it.

Very easy to build, but don’t glue the plug to the panels lol.
Next up will be the wing assembly.

9 Likes

Hi Andy

Nice work on the engine and cowling. :beer:

I made a silly mistake with the cowling and fitted the wrong air scoop, only realising after the cement had dried. Rather than risk messing everything up prising it off, I’ve used “superfiller” (CA + talc) to build it up to match the profile of the correct one. Touch wood, it should look fine, but it’s a classic reminder to “read the bl**dy instructions!”! :laughing: :roll_eyes:

I won’t try and do any work on my Zero this afternoon - probably not wise after a couple of glasses of nice Chardonnay… :wink: - but I aim to get a good few hours’ work in at the modelling bench tomorrow and Monday. :slight_smile:

Once again, Merry Christmas everyone, however you celebrate the winter holiday. Here’s wishing you all good health, happiness and prosperity for the year ahead. :beer:

Take care and all the best

1 Like

The cowl looks quiet complex, but as is the norm with modern Eduard releases it looks as if it goes together flawlessy. As long as you follow the instructions of course :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
And happy Christmas to you both too …

1 Like

The cowling does go together well, but you do have to be careful not too glue the cowling to the plug, and put the right parts together lol.
Well the wing assembly is complete. Main undercarriage bays, lower panels all fit superbly, as does the upper wings.

There re some bottles and boxes the fit on the blue section on the lower wing but these are not visible at all once the wing and fuselage are mated.
Next will be mating the cockpit to the fuselage and attaching the wings.

8 Likes

Nice work Andy :beer:

All being well, I should kick off 2022 by finally throwing some paint at my part of the build tomorrow!

I haven’t been totally idle (I’ve been building sub-assemblies out of sequence where I can), but the usual Christmas craziness in the retail trade has meant I simply haven’t had a chance to get in “a proper session” with a stint at the spray booth.

That should all change with the turn of the calendar, because January is traditionally quiet for shops. So, I hope to get some quality time at the workbench in the next few weeks…

Anyway - here’s wishing everyone a Happy New Year! :beer: And let’s all hope 2022 signals the return to something approaching normality…

Meanwhile, continue to take care and stay safe.

All the best

Hi again

Having just been censored on another thread, I’m going to call it time as regards the Forum. Obviously, I’ll still write occasional reviews etc., but I won’t contribute further to this or other threads. It’s not the way I wanted to see in the New Year, but I’ve felt increasingly out on a limb at Kitmaker for a long time and this does seem a fitting point to step out.

I’ve started putting together the bare bones of a place to chat about all the modelling and music stuff that interests me at noisymodels.co.uk, and everyone’s welcome to look in. There’s still a long way to go getting it anything like fully functional - but I never expected to have to do it so soon.

Aeroscale has been my passion and focus for the last 18 years, but change is always a good thing sooner or later. I cherish the friendships I’ve made over the years in this amazing community and Aeroscale will always remain close to my heart. I wish everyone all the best for 2022 and beyond. :beer:

Take care, stay safe - and build models! :smiley:

All the best

Well I have been a busy bee over the last few days, with the fuselage and wings all joined together (no problems, all fits perfectly).
The main and only camo colour applied. Tamia’s XF12 IJN Grey.

The only problem with the Tamiya paint is that it eats the gloss coat, three sessions of applying rattle can Humbrol clear gloss, before anything actually went at all shiny.
Next up was building the undercarriage legs. Very fiddley, but do look nice once done.

Once everything was dry on the paint and gloss coat front, decals were applied.

Now Eduard decals are normally very good, but the stencils are very thin and fold as soon as you look at them. The larger decals were no problem at all.
Looking at the pic it does look as though the wing decals have silvered, but I think its just the way the light has caught them, as you don’t notice that on the actual model.
Next update will probably be of the finished kit.

9 Likes

The Zero is looking very good Andy :smiley:

Nice kit, work and detail here. Looking forward to seeing more.

And the Zero is finished.
Markings for the A6M2 of Lt. Cdr. Shigeru Itaya, Akagi Fighter Squadron, first attack wave.

A lovely kit, if a little fiddley in places.
Thanks for all of you watching and commenting.

9 Likes

Looks fantastic Andy, nicely done :smiley:

The Zero came out really nice, Andy! :+1: I’m about to order their new Profi Pack which comes out this month with some more colourful camos.

Very nice Andy - thanks for posting .
Come on Eduard - now we know you can do Japanese.
The world really needs a new , good Oscar . 1/48 Please.