BLOG: USMC UH-34D Conversion in 1/32

I am about to start on something I have wanted to do for a long time; a large scale (1/32) UH-34D conversion.

The finished product will be a USMC UH-34D from Vietnam which is currently at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico, VA; YN-19. This helicopter has very long and storied history, which can be found here.

I will be starting with the Fly Models Westland Wessex HC.2 kit, which is of a later British version with turbine engines. The kit is interesting that it is a true multi-media affair with injected plastic, resin, PE, and paper parts.

I will be using a new product that will be available soon to backdate it to a USMC UH-34D with piston engine. It is a 3D printed H-34 nose conversion designed by Oliver “Rotorman” at ARC and printed by by Norbert from Reedoak Rubber Composites out of France, who do excellent 3D printed figures and accessories in multiple scales. It is beautifully printed and extremely detailed. A great piece.

More to come as I get started.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing how this goes. :+1:

Most interesting I’m going to tag along and watch.

I have made a bit of progress. It doesn’t look like much, but it was time consuming. The Fly Models kit is very detailed. You start by adding all internal stringers and longerons in the rear cabin. The vertical stringers weren’t too bad as each was a separate part that you glue onto thin lines on the inner wall. The longerons and parts around the windows are each individually cut to fit between the stringers.

Here is one side done, one to go.

IMG_1757
IMG_1758

They took some time, but it does look great when done.

2 Likes

Fiddly stuff but worth it.

Keith

Thanks Keith.