BMPT Terminator Zvezda

Hi all
while the oils on my Tiger are drying I have started this very nice kit. Zvezda has raised the detail level up to the current standards. The cast is clean with some flash here and there but nothing terrible.
The detail is crisp. The instructions need some attention as some explanations are not logical in particular when the options are concerned. For instance, the front hatches can be depicted closed or open. However option 1 is described at one page and option 2 four pages later!
Zvezda still use the old technique to build the hull tubs: a floor and the walls. On my sample the floor was quite warped (see pics). I had to use my hair dryer to straighten it back.

Olivier

8 Likes

Here is the Terminator after some progress.

I noticed one mistake in the instructions. The 2 parts of the tracks in contact with the ground are reversed. One run ends with a tooth guide at each end while the other obvioulsy has none. The turret is easy to build with nice detail and no surprise so far.

Olivier

4 Likes

Hi Olivier,

Great work, and keep up the commentary. This is definitely a kit of interest for me after the Kamaz build.

Kylie

1 Like

I finally added all the details I could before painting the running gear. Then I can add the side skirts and the grille armor panles.
On the turret the guns will be added later on and the missiles could be painted separately to facilitate the painting of the turret.
The missiles supports have two holes of different diameter, the largest being at the front. Unfortunately on the missiles the largest rod is at the rear so you have to file it down. Not a big deal though.

2 Likes

Just a heads up. most of the studs on the side skirts are not on the real vehicle. I carefully shaved them off. also made masking a little easier.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. However according to the reference pictures I have the skirts of the kits are correct.

I guess it depends on the version of the prototype.

Olivier

1 Like

Very nice model, I like this vehicle a lot. Look forward to see it painted.

1 Like

It’s been a while since my last update. Now that my Antic campaign is over I managed to paint the running gear so I could put the side skirts in place. The grille panel will be painted separately to facilitate the painting of the exhaust area.
The weapon station is not glued yet. I will hold it in place with blu tac during the painting session so I can paint its lower parts more easily.

Olivier

2 Likes

Today I managed to spray the camo as sported for the Eurosatory Arms Exhibition 2012. As usual Zvezda does not give the full set of views. The front and the rear views are not provided. Fortunately my own pictures came to my rescue.

Olivier

6 Likes

Oliver, what colors did you use. I’m really liking the yellow and the greenish colors.

The yellow is AK122 base color for US vehicles in OEF and OIF, the green is Tamiya Xf-65 Field Grey.

Olivier

Thanks. I thought the green had a grey element to it. Looks very good.

Wow that is awesome!

Rich

1 Like

Hi all
here are some pictures after a panel wash and a pin wash. I fear I’ve been heavy handed so I’ll probably spray some Buff to enlighten the beast.

Olivier

4 Likes

Looking at the pictures before and after the washing I would say you have done a fine job, not heavy handed at all. The camo is really looking great.

Olivier I think it looks excellent. Not heavy handed at all. It really brings out the details of the kit, great job!

1 Like

You’re making me want to buy this kit so bad now lol !

2 Likes

Looks really good not heavy handed at all to my eye. May just have to get one for my collection. :+1: :+1:

Thanks for the nice comments.
The side skirts are a bit too dark and there is some undesired streaking. I managed to fix most of it though. My intent was to depict a brand new vehicle during an exhibition.
I let it dry and will post pictures later on.

Don’t hesitate to buy one, this really is an enjoyable kit.

Olivier

Why did you choose the Zevda kit over the Meng or other offerings?