Border Mobelwagen/kit manufacturers schemes

I’ve started putting the Border Mobelwagen together. Interestingly, the instructions include a paint scheme for “Hohenstaufen” in Hungary, which is Dunkelgelb with large patches of white over it. I often wonder where the kit manufacturers get their information from. I’d like to see the photographic evidence for this, given they are so precise about unit and location. I’ve never seen a photo of this subject and period, but I’m happy to be proved wrong. They do make a mistake in attibuting it to Panzer Flak Abteilung 9 though, Flakpanzer were usually part of the tank regiment. Pierre Tiquet’s “La Flak de la Hohenstaufen” makes no mention of these vehicles. Photos taken in Arnhem clearly show two “Mobelwagen”, but these are in three colour.
I’m open to comments on this scheme, or is it just a kit manufacturers dream? I have heard derogatory comments about Border’s research.

1 Like

Does the unit’s history offer any clues? The Germans occupied Hungary in March ’44, and were generally defeated/kicked out by 12 months later. Depending on which part of that period this unit was operational might suggest if they were more likely to be sporting a summer or winter camo scheme. What I mean is that if the unit couldn’t have been there during winter months, the Border scheme’s likely to be invented. Otherwise it sounds like a rough field-applied scheme, if there are no specific authentic photos of this vehicle nobody can prove you wrong painting it your own way.

1 Like

Border’s research is nonexistent. They simply copy other manufacturer’s kits. Border’s Mobelwagen is a copy of the Tamiya kit. Comparing it to the Samur museum example and the Tamiya kit, Border even copies the mistakes in the Tamiya kit.
Their paint schemes are pure artistic imagination. I’ve searched and I can’t find where they get the dates, times, locations, and units. Ever. Not a one.
I have the Border Mobelwagen and I’ve gotten to examine 6 other Border kits. I’ve stopped buying Border.

2 Likes

Well, “Hohenstaufen” took part in the Battle of the Bulge as part of 6SSPz Army, so they couldn’t be in two places at once! However, along with the rest of 6SSPz Army, they took part in the Plattensee Offensive (Unternehmen “Fruhlingswachen”) in March 1945. What few photos exist show plenty of mud but no snow, so the scheme is probably spurious, or could have been quickly applied towards the tail end of the Ardennes. I think I will go with a proven three colour scheme from Arnhem in September 1944. The supplied figure won’t fit with this scheme.

2 Likes