Border Model Panzer IV J & Rail Way Flatbed Ommr | Armorama™

What I’m seeing on the box-art is a completely de-railed flat-car, with the tank being driven onto a conveniently situated embankment :eyeglasses:

Yeah now that I look at it more closely there’s no track beneath that flat car. Hmmm

1 Like

A little-known forerunner to Monster Truck rallies, Der Panzer Follies were a popular form of war-time entertainment. Here Hans Gruber performs the seldom seen Dachshund Tail Drag Uber den Ommr maneuver. Always a crowd pleaser.

Jesus Christ we used to wait until we got the box open to tear a kit apart!

Could that be dried mud on those wheels maybe??

I think it’s dried mud and/or dust and the effect of a very low lighting angle when the photo was taken, although it’s appearance on the spares is curious. I have seen other opinions too;

“The 15. Panzer Div., arrived between April 24 and May 6th 1941. These were finished in tropical paint at the factory. What is further interesting about these vehicles, they arrived with the rubber sides of road wheels and return rollers painted in white. Apparently, this was just for parade purposes while at their Italian harbour before boarding ships.”

I can not confirm nor deny this statement.

I have also read opinions that the rubber on the wheels was painted white in an effort to help keep the rubber cooler and extend their service life in the hot desert sun. Again, no supporting evidence one way or the other.

1 Like

If you look at the last veh and then the third road wheel which has its lower section in shadow, you can still see the white even though its in shadow. And all the rest are totally uniform with no variation … painted white looks favourable, and just left to wear away naturally when in theatre ?

I thought I had better photos showing this dilemma, but I can’t seem to find them, yet.

Then there is this;

https://www.amazon.com/Panzer-German-Army-Light-Tank/dp/1399018000?asin=1399018000&revisionId=&format=4&depth=1