Bristol 450 Le Mans 1954 | AutoModeler

Bristol 450 Le Mans 1954 n° 33/34/35 

Item No - P24124K

Scale - 1/24th

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://automodeler.com/news/bristol-450-le-mans-1954

Jim,
Thanks for the post. As usual, his work is at Alien level.

I’ve been eyeing his Porsche 911 RSR and his Aston Martin GTE kits. What really scares me is that the glass is all vacuum formed. I’ve never really succeeded with any of the Falcon canopies I bought in my aircraft days. Just to expensive of a kit to screw up trying to get all the vac glass to fit.

Joel

Thank Andy. I just put up the link. :wink:

Hi Joel,
I found the easiest way to deal with vac form is too cut it close to the shape, then trim a very small bit at a time and then test fit and then repeat as needed.
Andy :slight_smile:

Andy,
That’s about what I’ve attempted to do the few times I’ve tried those Falcon canopies. I even used Jessica’s procedure and packed the inside with Silly Putty as I didn’t have any clay. Still had all sorts of issues. I got the canopies on, but not perfectly. I’m wondering if these would be of a higher quality?

With these kits costing close to $200 without shipping and insurance, I’d sure like to take a cheaper practice shot 1st. I’m going to get in touch with him and see if replacement glass would be available for starters.

I’ve also be taking a good long look at Silver City Models whose specializes in Indy Car multi media kits. At half the cost, it seems like a more logical starting point, as i really want to shift my focus more towards my main racing interests: Indy Car, F1, GT3 & 4 racing (American series, then British, then European), rather then what I seem to continue to build of mostly the older Tin Tops as that’s what’s offered more times then not.

Joel

Hi Joel,
I would imagine Profil24 would let you have additional glass, as A- they are expensive kits, and the vac form parts are probably the cheapest component, B - they would love too see thier kits built, and C - not worth alienating a buyer and giving themselves a bad rep over one part.
I remember years ago I built the MDC Arado AR 234, which was an all resin and photo etch kit in 1/32nd, and I buggered up the glazing 3 times and each time MDC gave me the glass for free. Still never finished the plane :joy:
I would definitely have a go at a cheaper kit first.
Andy :slight_smile:

Andy,
I kind of remember that MDC kit, it sure wasn’t cheap back in those days. Glade that they gave you free replacement glass as needed.

I’m going with the Indy Cars 1st as that’s my main real racing focus, then F1 only because I’m a huge Mad Max Verstappen fan as well as a Red Bull fan, but I don’t drink the stuff. My doctor said it would eventually kill me with my heart issues. Figures !!

The Indy Cars only have that small, open windscreen, not full glass like the Aston Martin V8 and Porsche 911 RSR GT3 cars with full glass all the way around.

Joel