Cabooses

Cabooses have quite a number of nicknames. “Crummy” is one I always think is funny, as well as “monkey wagon” and “brain wagon.” I don’t understand “Strawberry Patch” unless it’s in reference to how many of them were painted bright red.

I tell my wife hers is like two apples in a sack. :slight_smile:

Fred,
Thanks for the compliment. I got my first painting commission at age 16 when I joined my 1st Model Railroad club. I bought an air brush (cheap Badger) in jr-high school and I’m now 69 so I’ve been at it a while. I use Scalecoat, Accu-Paint, Floquil and now adding in Tru-Color since Accu-Paint and Floquil are gone and my stash is almost depleted.

The GTW cab is painted w/Accu-Paint CN red-orange, the common family caboose color.

Tim

1 Like

I think the nick-name “crummy” comes from the Division Superintendent cussing when describing his inspection of the INSIDE of many long haul Caboose after the crew gets done with them!

1 Like

A nice Aristo-Craft Santa Fe Caboose in G Scale. Seen just today at the Local Hobby Shop!

The actual model caboose is much more red than this. I hate the pinkish cast my phone camera is giving to this cab.

2 Likes

Another nice Northern Pacific Caboose, this time in O Scale. (In 2 or 3-rail I don’t know which!) Seen just today at the Local Hobby Shop!

2 Likes

K.Sp.1 - you, fancy a UP transfer caboose? Say it isn’t so! :upside_down_face: :wink:

It do look good, don’t it?

1 Like

Tim, you have some “whiskers” painting models. Beautiful work - not a compliment, a statement of respect and awe. I can’t spot a run or a rough spot on any of them. I still have a bit of Floquil; what psi and thinning ratio did you use? Tru-Color, I love the paint. Nice people, too. I started airbrushing '75 with a Badger 250, and quickly realized I needed something better - a Badger 200 served fairly well about 20years until I had enough money to buy a Passche.

Tim, how did you acquire so many cabeese? They are cool cars.

I trashed the Badger and cans of Propel after a year or so. Folks gave me a diaphragm compressor for Xmas and I bought a Binks Wren Model B single action brush. I have several bodies w/fine and medium tips in them that I still use. Also have single and double action Passche’s and a nice double action Iwata. The Binks is still my go to. I usually shoot at about 30psi and 40%-60% thinner. Higher % for Scalecoat, lower % w/the Tru-Color. I adjust both thinner and pressure as the weather/year changes. Here in the NW it’s generally cooler and moister although I do most of my work in a daylight basement which is fairly stable.

I’m originally out of the mid-west but moved to the NW in '71. Have friends and family scattered all over the country. Travel to hobby shops and swap meets for 50 years and you pick up a few things. At one point I was looking for a steel C&O caboose. Just missed one at a shop in Columbus, Ohio for $65. Five months later in Pocatello, Idaho I found two of them for $40 each and I bought them both for the grand total of $60. Idaho is definitely not Chesapeake and Ohio country. I also tend to pick up pieces that need help since I have the skills and tools to deal w/most issues.

Way back in the mid-1980’s I was doing some standard gauge logging in HO and wanted something besides the easily found, run of the mill, 4-wheel Bobber Caboose.

I wanted something small, 4-axle and with an off-center cupelo. So I started in on a Bobber with saw and model knife. Just might have been my first ever RR kit-bash.

And of course I don’t notice till now that I have a derailment right in the middle of my attempt at hero photography of this cab.

3 Likes

Nice little logging road hack seen today at the LHS: ~ G Scale

The real problem is . . . . they also have this matching little beauty.
Now it would be a real shame to break up the pair!

Plus 3 of these really rather nice looking logging flats.

Or maybe even this pair!

4 Likes

Some additional photos. Apologies for the picture quality. I am learning to use my better half’s camera.

3 Likes

A few more.

Sometimes you need more than one!

4 Likes

Like the CV and CNR!…but they are all very nice

1 Like

image Thanks for the compliment

1 Like

Posted in the “Mid Hudson On30 Meet” FaceBook Group by Les Davis:

5 Likes

Standard Great Northern 24’ wood caboose w/the cupola removed for switching and local service. Thanks for posting.

Tim

2 Likes

That wood reminds of a fence I once knew….

1 Like