Campaign - I Like Big GUNS...And I Cannot Lie

Happy 2020 everyone! The I Like Big GUNS…and I Cannot Lie Campaign is now active!

Operational Overview
This campaign is open to all field guns, howitzers and mortars. No rockets, missiles, anti-tank guns or air defense artillery. Can be towed or self-propelled. Inclusion of a prime mover is optional.

The Rules and Regs
Here are the conditions:

1. All scales
  2. All eras
  3. Any nationality
  4. No previously started kits
  5. No dios (flexible on this one)
  6. Aftermarket add-ons welcome
  7. At least two in-progress pictures posted in the campaign thread
  8. At least two pictures of the completed model in the gallery

Contest Element

Post your thoughts, questions, in-progress pics, etc. here!

Good luck and happy modeling!

Our campaign in now here in the new forums. Please make the rest of your posts here.

Here is where I am at with my 105mm howitzer waffentrager.

Next painting can begin. I am going a bit crazy with different color schemes to reflect the waffentrager has been put together with sub assemblies from several manufacturing sites.

More to follow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks good Jesper. I am seeing the need to do my first big tracked artillery wagon soon … looking forward to seeing more Waffentrager …

Though not officially part of the campaign, I did build this one this year: Soar Art’s 355mm M1 Heavy Howitzer with Dragon figs and a IBG Büssing-NAG supply truck.

2 Likes

Coming along nicely Jesper. It sure was an unusual vehicle.

Love the build Erwin. It would have been a nice addition to this GB>

1 Like

Thanks… I was not aware of this group build. This dio actually won me a second place in a FB-GB :slight_smile: To make matters worse, after this dio, I started a new biggie: Mörser Karl, which will be placed in a Dio together with 9 other vehicles (rail and road)… Karl is finished, minus the tracks, since I want Friuls, which are hard to get by my LHS…

4 Likes

I think I posted everything I needed to on the old thread, do we need to copy anything over to the new forums, or is that pretty much taken care of automatically?

For reference, my build was the M7 Priest

5 Likes

Major assembly is complete. Hopefully I’ll be able to prime later this week.

I’m about to start working on the AM workable tracks. 118 links per side with two parts per link. :upside_down_face:

:beer: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Nice one Richard @GulfWarrior , are they still in use with anyone ?

Oh yeah! A lot of the former Soviet client states use them.

I haven’t really decided on a paint scheme yet. I like doing unique ones. Anyone got any ideas?

unique real or unique made up ? I have only seen them pretty standard mundane one colour does all or basic cam versions. You could do a Red Square parade one with the bright bronzey green scheme and the big red stars and white highlighted wheels/areas ??

Unique real. I’ve been coming the internet and have found some that look like they are field applied; but nothing that just jumps out and catches my eye!

:beer: :cowboy_hat_face:

A little more progress on my howitzer waffentrager.

I am going for a panzer 1946 scheme. Only the red primer for the hull. Just of the assembly line and direct to the front.

The turret came from another factory and was painted with the standard 1946 scheme.

The gun and cradle was finished in overall yellow and mated to the hull and turret.

Sort of just get the waffentrager to the desperate front.

More to follow. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A bit more progress on my waffentrager. I promised an unusual camouflage for the turret. I hope I have delivered :wink:

I went for a pixel camo on the turret using Greenstuff worlds very nice decals. I feel it is very panzer 1946ish and is a nice contrast to the rust red primer hull.

5 Likes

It certainly gets my vote. Very cool

1 Like

Very interesting choice. Certainly not what I expected! It does look good though.

1 Like

i have an old artillery set, one of my first models; not that big sized though. just 75mm.

75mm shells, that is.

but yeah. looked at regulations, it WAY too old.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Since I was going for a Panzer’46 look anyway, I wanted to take the chance for some unusual camouflage.