Centurion Mk 5 from Amusing

Hey Beentheredonethat

Yes we want model kit of, you name it, and yes i dont want 1900 parts in a (T-72 kit No. 09548) model without interior, and yes i want models like Tamiya does, about 300 parts pr. kit. A friend of mine is right now building the Afv-Club 35239 AEC Matador truck, it just have to many parts.

Best regards
Kjeld Pedersen

1 Like

actually I have another kit in my stash! Not sure if I save the left over parts. Also have a Shot Kal still unopened. . Now to add to this, there was a story flowing around in 1968 about converting the main gun over to a U.S. supplied 90mm as used in the M48. That way the logistics would have been a bit more simplified. Did it ever happen? I have no idea as they were 250 miles south of us.
gary

Now I will build the AFV kits as I like them, but I also like the new guys as well. Keep wanting to see TAKOM do a MK.V, and then be done with it
gary

No, it never happened. Sounds like Barracks BS.

assuming your speaking about my 90mm comment. The entire country of Vietnam was a constant rumor mill, there seemed to be two or three new ones every week or so. Then being so far west that radios and communications were virtually nonexistent. The only time you got to listen to a radio was when you were on a mountain top with a ten foot long antenna strung out. Even then there were only two stations worth the listen; Radio Hanoi and Peking Radio on short wave. Hanoi played the best music except for Saturday night. Trust me there was no mention of upgrading any tank, but they would supply you with little tidbits towards your next operation. Stuff even the Colonel didn’t know. As for barracks B.S.; we only wished for a roof over our heads! One without rats for sure
gary

1 Like

And all that has what to do with the Centurion?

They look like some well founded and sensible “opinions” you have observed while building the various kits Kjeld.
BTW, the Cent looks great, and like @BootsDMS , I do like a good cam net. Is that a standard Danish pattern ?

Hey
From 1972 Danish army got the Plastic “Barracuda” camoflage nets from Sweden. Before that, we had the British WW2 cloth net. The AK 8059 Regular Mimetic Type 1 Green looks like the one we use/ used, only problem the AK net is flath, you have to “poke” it up. I put some gaze soked in white glue, with Oregano sprinkled on it, i rolled the AK net around the gaze to make the net thick.

Best regards
Kjeld

2 Likes

Gary,

It doesn’t really matter from a modelling perspective whether or not it’s true - just categorise it as a “What-If?” and build one; the hobby is meant to be fun and if there’s something plausible (like you’ve described) just do it!

Now the prototype MBT 70 never saw service but I had great fun building one as if it did and I have a "Leopard in British Service project simmering away as well. That’s not to say I focus on “What If?” that much but sometimes it provides a welcome break and stimulation in equal measures.

Good luck if you tackle one.

Brian

1 Like

I remember the MBT70 all too well, but have only seen one in my life. Parts yes, but never completely put together. I started working in the area that built the main gun for it and the Sheridan way too long ago. Imagine there are still parts stashed in racks here and there. The whole tank was an engineer’s nightmare when you look at the time frame. Still it ended up becoming a learning curve for bigger and better things in the future. Seems like there was one other “one off” prototype between it and the XM1’s (two different XM1 tanks), but what was learned was added each time to the newer model.

Back to the MK.V. again. The AFV kit is not completely correct for a Vietnam era tank. Kinda close, but no cigar. I think it was Gerald Owens (might be wrong) that did quite a bit of good quality research on them, and converted the AFV (RVN MK.V kit) to something much closer. I need to find that magazine article again. I’m writing this, and I’m an AFV fan!
gary

Don’t know where you got that info but the AFV Club kit is dead on for an Aussie Cent…

Terry Ashley has noted some very minor issues in his review:
https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/afvclub/afv35100.htm

Ive never been a big fan of the Cent as I remember them from Germany when we had them as the Cent ARRVs when I was on Chieftain and initially for a while when we went over to Chally 1. They were a complete pig to drive, and they were to me, the original moving can of oil on tracks lol
However, with all that said, I wouldn’t mind doing a Cent, perhaps one of the IDF variants. Which would be a good one for an OOB build ?

Hey Johnnych01

Until now you get IDF Centurions from Afv-Club. They would all be good
for a out of the box build, I would buy tracks, and road wheels for it, but
i have build some of them out of its box.
They give you the:
1967 IDF Shot Centurion Mark 5 & 5/1 six day war AF35159
Shot Kal 1973 (Diesel engine) 35124
Shot Kal Gimel type I Operation Peace for Galilee 1982 35267
Shot Kal Gimel 1982 Type II Operation Peace for Galilee 1982 35282
Shot Kal Dalet w/ Battering Ram 35277
Best regards
Kjeld

1 Like

Thanks for that Kjeld, all good to know, so I will be keeping a look out for one in the near future. Many thanks.

actually quite a few. Most are small, but a couple stand out
gary

you have no idea; do you!
glt

Guys , I’m no moderator or even admin, but I love these threads for the info we get and pass on and I hope this doesn’t get heated again as Robin asked. This is @DANILOG thread so please let’s not hijack it and get off track.

There are more tools available around here than in the old forums to cool things down, hint, hint, wink, wink,

2 Likes

That brought a tear to my eye lol