Hey folks! I’d like to share my finished WIP for the Hot Out of the Molds 2021 GB - Amusing Hobby’s Centurion Mk. 5 Tank. Markings are for a vehicle belonging to C squadron, 4.RTR, West Berlin 1962. One interesting thing about these tanks were painted US Olive Drab with the mantlet painted black.
I decided to leave odd the side skirts, and didn’t apply the mudguard extenders at the front as I wanted the workable tracks to be seen. Overall a pretty nice kit with one big omission: it is missing the canvas mantlet. I used one from AFV Club which I had to modify to fit. The AFV Club canvas does not fit very well, I think other AM options are better.
The kit also provides decals for only one tank which is a bit disappointing if you want to buy more than one.
Finally, I attached the telephone box at the rear upside down by mistake. Whoops.
Love it Nigel. The Centurion is one of my favourite tanks, a perfect example of the WW2 to early Modern take on tanks.
Shame about the telephone box, but we have all done something similar at some time.
Just one thing that you might want to address, as it is not hard even with the vehicle painted, is to add the holes in the side Armour supports. Not a biggie if you don’t, but it does add a little lift.
Thanks as always Peter! I really like how the Centurion looks as well - it’s tied with the T-54/55 for me (which, incidentally is another tank borne out of WW2 designs).
Thanks for the close-up photos on the armor supports, I haven’t seen a lot of those. I’ll do that next time I leave the side skirts off. Would you also happen to have a photo of how the side skirts attach to the support arms?
Thanks Brian! I do agree that antennas really add to the realism and I really ought to add them whenever possible. The one reason why I tend to avoid it is my current storing arrangements - I end up putting a lot of my builds in small boxes that don’t have a lot of room for antennas (that’s why I don’t have a lot of befelhspanzer in my stash as well, really afraid of breaking those tall styrene antennas!)
Well, without patronising anyone on this site, perhaps my own storage methodology is apposite: I utilise A4 paper boxes to store my completed models in. I appreciate not everyone perhaps will know what is meant by “A4” – it is a European standard size of paper (I’m sure the whole range can be explored further if you so wish using Google). This paper size is 8¼” x 11¾” (ish) – obviously metric would be more accurate given it’s a metric initiative but forgive my Imperial leanings. The boxes normally pan out at around 10” tall.
(image borrowed from www)
What I do is commission bespoke bases which correspond exactly to the paper size (procured by my local model shop in ½ MDF); I will normally use this size base for say, an average MBT such as Leopard etc. If say, it’s a heavier AFV and therefore a larger model, or, if I wish to depict a small diorama, I’ll opt for an A3 sized base and paper box (A3 being effectively double the size of A4). So, once the model is competed and secured to the base, I then stash it away in the box, but I do it this way: I invert the box so the lid holds the base; that way, the bulk of the box provides not just storage/protection but more importantly antennae clearance. I normally stick some adhesive tape around the top of the box and mark up the contents so that I can locate a certain model at a glance.
I appreciate that some 10”-12” of storage space height is still required so this method still requires a bit more shelf space than most will have perhaps; also, depending on storage climate, location etc the cardboard may bend, shrink, warp and will eventually require replacement. I devised this method because at the time, working in an Army HQ, I had plenty of access to such boxes, and it also allowed me a transportation method to shows (as longs as some Helpful Harry doesn’t think he’s doing you a favour and places the boxes “the right way up” (!) – which is why labelling helps.
Having left the military I now find myself dependent on boxes from my local printing shop which works out just fine. That said, given my abysmal build-rate at the moment, I only trouble them around every quarter or so.
One last thing: The A4 boxes will also (obviously) take smaller bases such as the 7” and 8” ones I use for smaller models and vignettes.
I’d just make the rectangle on the back of the armour plate out of styrene. I’m sure it is even thickness and it is just the angle of the photo that makes it look bevelled. Drill two holes in that.
Then wrap some wire around a drill bit a few times like a spring. Slide the wire off and cut through one side. You will then have a lot of rings. Cut the rings into segments, a little less than half the circumference by the looks of things, then glue one end in the holes on the part on the plate.
Lately, I have stopped gluing aerials in place. I lay them flat on the base the model is glued to and fit them into their holes only for display. Having two sons that play guitar, I have a good supply of their broken E strings to cut aerials from. After being straightened under tension, they are ideal.