Certain Model Memories Triggered by Specific Places?

Remember when drug stores - pharmacies, not the ‘drug stores’ of today - and grocery stores carried models? William “Bill” Skinner had a big selection of models at Bill’s Pharmacy and I remember the (mostly) Monogram kits I bought there; only recently did I learn that he flew with VMF-312, which happened to be the decals for Monogram’s F4U, which I probably bought from him. Kresges, Sears, JC Pennys, Big K, Howard Gibsons, and a few pharmacies and gas stations I can’t remember now.

3 Likes

My first tank model. I was 6-7. Kids in school were all talking about Alan Shepard’s space flight.
I still have one of the infantry figures that came with it. Places that trigger it are museums with a Sherman.

mmmmmm, lovely …
HVSS suspension with VVSS tracks :rofl:

1 Like

Even better, the sprockets were simple drums with a sprocket-shape embossed on the face! And it was sorta-kinda 1:40ish scale.

1 Like

ummm,
sounds like the Nitto or Blue Tank M8 High Speed Tractor, it had rubber bands with serrated inside running over a serrated drum with embossed teeth …
:face_vomiting:
Luckily the real thing shared running gear parts with the M41 tank :+1:
I still think it is salvageable …

1 Like

Yep - I remember the drums being serrated with tiny ridges! The track cracked between links too - the vinyl only lasted so long. But it was fun, and I was a youngster…

2 Likes

Oh yes I do. There was a Sav On drug store down the road a bit, well stocked with Hawk models and a rack of Testors paints. I remember getting many of the small box kits when I was learning to build. Later on I moved up to the larger 1/48 Hawk kits… As I got a bit older and mom needed to grocery shop, we would go to Gemco, a membership discount grocery & department store. Mom would leave me in the model aisle while she got the groceries without me grabbing other sweets and treats for the cart. Instead I would gaze over the well stocked shelves of all sorts of models at that store. 1/32 aircraft… they were huuuuge! The box art of that time still stands out in my memory. And they had the larger rack of Pactra paints! What a selection! Dark and Light Olive Drab! What is all this?! Oftentimes I would be able to get a kit for good behavior… lol.

2 Likes

I never built that M4 model but Revell’s 105 and truck holf nice memories for me.

Over the years I’ve read what an abomination the HVSS is on a cast hull, but then I read that there actually were something like that. And lo and behold, a couple months ago on a rerun of the series combat, what to my wondering eyes did appear? A cast hull Sherman just like this one!

IIRC, Adam’s had a fairly large selection of military vehicles in 1/40th scale. Revell’s A-1 Skyraider is also in this weird scale. I’ve never looked to see how many 1/40 kits there are out there. I think it rapidly lost out to 1/32nd and 1/48th, and we know what happened to 1/32!

1 Like

I was so traumatized when I cracked the box of this M4. It’s still makes me shiver.

2 Likes

I like to visit local shops when I’m traveling, if any, and what I buy there is a trigger for the whole trip, like a Verlinden M-36 conversion at Bobi’s, a Trump KV-1 at Skyway, the book I bought at Bovington, even the Tamiya M-51 I bought on Vancouver Island while my group sampled Irish whiskies. Any bagged Airfix airplane in 1/72 takes me back to the Thrifty Drugs on the corner where I grew up, in the '60s. Now I tell people it’s memory preservation therapy.

4 Likes

:+1:
:joy:

1 Like

On a school trip to the Imperial War Museum I bought the Airfix 1/76 Bofors gun and Morris tractor. Seeing that kit brings up the memories of that visit.

1 Like

Going through some boxes, looking for something, and I found the Kubel I mentioned here previously. This is the damage the pool cue did:

1 Like

Fix the figures and the wheel on the Kübelwagen and let the rest be “intentional”.
A Kübelwagen has stopped by the discarded exercise materiel from last month.
Maybe touch up with some paint to prevent white styrene from showing.

1 Like

I only detailed what would be seen through the hole in the rear of the fake canvas shell. I would have to do more detailing to make the naked Kubel respectable…

That sounds tricky …
How do you make something naked respectable?

1 Like

Hmm - I’ll have to research Internet photos to see if this is possible…:wink:

2 Likes

Better ask Adam…

Aha,
maybe like this?

2 Likes

I have the utmost respect for most women that I’ve seen in that condition… :wink:

5 Likes