Check this out for Famo love

More FAMO love from the folks at Militracks.

2 Likes

Agreed, 18B, however, time tells us Tamiya is no different as it’s been 24 years since the Famo was released and still nothing. Given the breakdown of the kit, the flat bed is separate and it would be nothing to do a crane version.

FWIW

Let’s think of it from Tamiya’s point of view with the company motto in mind "First in quality around the world ".

The Flak 88 is from 1972. It still sells but it’s not close to today’s standards. New tooling required.

Given the gun is complex, I’d guess the kit would end up ~$60 at most US online hobby stores. The Famo kit is roughly $90.

Seems to me a Tamiya Famo w/8.8cm Flak kit would end up ~$145 to $155. Not so sure that would be a bigger selling kit

Of course, it could be marketed several ways.

1. Famo towing the Flak
  2. Famo mounting the Flak
  3. New Flak sold separately.

The old Flak 88 has a low cost and is easy to acquire for ~$28 on Amazon etc. The new one would be less accessible for many young modelers and Tamiya’s track record seems to indicate they do care about affordability to some degree.

Of course, the design team wouldn’t be able to work on some other project while being tied up with the Flak Famo project so opportunity cost could be a factor as well.

From my point of view. I buy a lot of kits and budget ~$100 a week for hobby entertainment (kits, paint, books, supplies, patreon etc) but I’ve never purchased a model kit that cost in excess of $85. I passed on the Famo when it released because it cost as much as two Tamiya armor kits. I’d probably pass on a $150 Tamiya 88 Flak Famo today as that’s the cost of ~3 new tool Tamiya armor kits.

YMMV

1 Like