Commercial Trucking 2021 (Jan-Dec)

Hi Guys,
Can I come and play? I’ve got a Volvo F12 and some Brambles decals. I’ll have a crack at recreating this fella.
Graeme.

2 Likes

Great stuff Graeme! Thanks for joining in, it will be good to follow your build and an iconic Aussie scheme as well, love it!

Cheers, D

1 Like

I’ve got RHD dash, wheels and guards coming in from Auslowe. The rest I should be able to scratch up.
Graeme.

That reminds me of the old Revell Volvo F12 Australia model kit from times ago! Brings back good memories!

The calendar has rolled over into December, so we are only a month away from the official start of the inaugural perpetual annual “Commercial Trucking Group Build” !!!

The “Big Rigs” side of AutoModeler hasn’t seen much action for a few years now, so let’s fire up those Cats and Cummins diesels!

My dad was an interstate truck driver for quite a few years, and this was one of his favourite songs

Cheers, D

1 Like

This sounds fun.

I wish I could find a current Kenworth T370 though.

I have access to the older (2006) T370 style, and just last week took delivery of a new 2021 T370 at work.

Jeff, great to see you here! Your addition to the build list would be very welcome, but I haven’t seen a T370 in kit form, just in diecast.

Hopefully you can find something else that appeals to take up some space on your bench in 2021!

Cheers, D

May finally build the Auto Transport Trailer pulled by the Peterbilt both by Revell in 1/25.

1 Like

Only a few days to go here folks, it’s worth taking a few minutes to go back to the original discussion thread on the old site (link in the first post of this thread) and having a read through. Lots of wonderful reference shots and valuable information on after-market items and conversion sets.

I’m really looking forward to this one, I haven’t built a commercial truck kit for many years and it will take me right back to where I started in this wonderful hobby building with my father in the mid-70’s.

Everybody have a very happy Christmas/New Year and stay safe!

Cheers, D

Road Train Cattle

1 Like

I suppose the next question is whether we start a new thread or just continue on here on New Years Day?

I would lean towards continuing in this thread, there is some great discussion and reference material here.

If the preference is to start a new thread, I can change the title of this thread and lock it so that there is no confusion.

Cheers, D

1 Like

I think in a few other group builds we just renamed the thread. I am good either way you choose to go, just happy to be in the campaign.

1 Like

OK, D, I double dare you to build one of those land trains! All you need is one tractor, three trailers, and at least five dozen tires and wheels!! :smile: :smile:

1 Like

Nick, very tempting, I would love to build a big set with a mixed load. Auslowe have the conversion sets for the connecting wheel dollies. Below are a few examples from a local Truck Modeling group I’m in.

Cheers, D

2 Likes

I have that Peterbuilt kit that I’ve been working on for about three years now. (Work schedule doesn’t leave me with much time)

Converting it into a day cab as either a logging truck or for sand and gravel.

Looks like we have a bit of interest in this Group Build, and some interesting projects planned. I’d say, post your work & finished projects in this thread. Makes them easier to find.

D., do we have a “list” of the participants?

Jim

Cool project idea. This is what I plan as well. Cut off the sleeper. Most of the auto carriers in my area don’t have them. Some do tho but I think mine will be without.

Jim, I don’t think we have an up to date list of interested parties yet. I will have a look back at the old site and put something together!

Well, its 8:30PM on January 1, 2021 where I’m sitting, I’ve just cracked a cold beer and going to spend a couple of hours at the bench which might just include cracking into the truck kit for this build.

Happy New Year to everybody, here’s hoping for a safe and prosperous year for all.

Cheers, D

1 Like

OK, here’s a list of folks who have expressed interest going right back to May 2020 when we started the lead-up discussions.

AussieReg (Damian) - Australian Western Star with 48’ Reefer
jimb (Jim) - Chevy Bison
Dixon66 (David) - Ford F-350 (Dually conversion)
Stickframe (Nick) - Peterbilt 378 (6x6 conversion)
ahandykindaguy (Dave)
cosimodo (Michael)
165thspc (Michael)
tank_1812 (Ryan) - Volvo VN 780
rv1963 (Robert)
GaryKato (Gary)
tinbanger (Richard)
harv (Randy) - 1926 Mack Bulldog Tank Truck
The_Snowman (Gavin)
noddy927 (Peter)
Szmann (Gabriel)
GrubbyFingers (Graeme) - Volvo F12
2CAVTrooper (Jeff) - Peterbilt (day cab conversion)
kosprueone - (KSO) - Peterbilt (day cab conversion) with auto transporter

That’s 18 to get us started, great stuff! I have tried to cross-reference names to the new forums here, please let us know if anything needs correction, and we can add in the kit details as things hit the bench.

I think we should just keep rolling in this thread, we are all here and the background discussion and link to the old forum thread are useful.

Best of luck to everybody with your builds, there are already some very exciting ideas being thrown around.

Cheers, D

2 Likes

And away we go! New Year, New Kit!

So far so good. Minimal amounts of flash to deal with, detail is nice and crisp and fit is good. I haven’t decided on a colour scheme for this one yet, so I’m going to start with putting together a bunch of sub assemblies and get as much as possible prepped for paint. I also need to get some detail photos for the colours of the various tanks and drive-train parts.

Cheers, D

1 Like